Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Amusing Deset Eagle Ad

AzRednek

$975, The gun for those with big hands, big balls, and big pockets, the Desert Eagle 44 Magnum.

Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 5:08 PM

Do you have large hands? The testicular fortitude to wave a 6 pound pistol around like a sledgehammer? Have you ever thought your pistol needed a bayonet? This is the gun for you, the Desert Eagle 44 Magnum Mark VII. With less than 500 rounds down the barrel, always kept greased and ready for badass hole punching-through-bunker action. This pistol is more fun than the Desert Eagle 50 due to the fact that it is more affordable to shoot. It chews through Winchester 44Mag bear loads like fat kids through cake. By the end of the day, you will be smiling, the brass will be all over, and the enemy will be dead, all of them. This gun kills a person, their ancestors, legacy, and pets, all in one shot. Known to make watermelon quiver at the sound of the magazine loading, this gun will throw an entire pumpkin patch into a fear frenzy. Come get it before I decide to dye my hair blonde and down someone's neck.

Rick 480--567--5318
P.S. I am an FFL, you will fill out a 4473 for this much awesomeness.
$975 out the door.

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/975-the-gun-for-those-with-big-hands-big-balls-and-big-pockets-the-desert-eagle-44-magnum/31867307

I'm still wanting one of those. I've been researching them. The MKVII 44mag is not the one to get. You want the MKXIX, as that one will take any of the 3 calibers: 357 mag, 44 mag or 50ae. The MKVII in 50AE is the same as a MKXIX. Oh, and they don't put the "mark" number on the gun anywhere, so you have to know how to ID it otherwise. The price is pretty good on that one, though. There's a "complete set" on GB right now. If I had four large to piss off on stuff I don't need, I'd have that.

A friend had one in 50AE. He brought it over and asked me if I wanted to shoot it. Of course being younger and stupider, I said yes.

Found out after I shot it that he hadn't shot it yet and was a bit scared to try it.

The rifling twist would torque your wrist when shooting it.

Sweet pistol for those who have big hands.

For what it's worth, I couldn't get him to test fire my 458 Lott and I had to do it myself. Some people do get smarter as they get older I guess.

I have another friend with a 460 with a ported barrel. When he lights it off, it is about like dropping a hand grenade next to you. All the crap on the shelves of my shooting shed flew off and we had to wait for the dust to settle before we could see what he hit.

He wouldn't shoot the 458 Lott either.

460 Weatherby or 460 Ruger?

460 S&W, 5 inch ported barrel. I've shot apx 250 45 Colts, 10 454 Casull and about a dozen or so 460's. The 350gr 454's are considerably harder on my wrist than 200gr Hornady 460's. I'm going to be putting it on the trading block. I'll admit I'm a wimp, its way to much gun for me and I regret buying it.

My thinking at the time was using it for deer hunting and having a free hand for my cane. At best I only hiked into the forest about 1/2 mile and sat on a tree stump for a couple hours. I could have just as easily slung a lightweight rifle. The deer hunt was a bust anyway. Lost count on the number of elk we saw but the only deer we came across were hanging in other hunter's campsites. The average success rate for deer in Arizona is less than 10% of the tags are filled. Naturally during our Javalina hunt we saw apx 20 Desert Muleys and also spotted my first feral hog.

How do you think that 460 stacks up against a 12" contender in 45-70?

Without looking up the stats I imagine both have similar ballistics with the same weight projectile. The lightweight 200 gr Hornady factory load and the progressive rifling tames recoil and shoots fairly flat out to nearly 200 yards. A 45/70 in a handgun is likely loaded 300-350 gr slug is really going to rattle one's wrist. I just can't imagine shooting the 45/70, 405 gr factory load in a handgun.

Years ago I shot a co-worker's massive single action 45/70 revolver. According to my friend we were shooting fairly mild hand loads. The weight of the huge revolver tamed recoil. A year or so later same guy and I headed to the desert with his 35 Remington Contender. We shot factory ammo. I only shot it twice and had no desire to shoot it a third time.

Here's my 45-70 contender. 12" barrel but 1 1/2" of that is muzzle break. Recoil is pretty stout, but manageable. A shooting glove seems to help, as would a cushioned grip. I don't shoot it often but as I recall you have to hold it very firmly or else the trigger guard will whack your fingers.

The only ammo I ever used is Federal, 300 grn Sierra HP FN.

post-200-0-76098400-1424631163_thumb.jpg

I love the 454. I was going to buy an Encore barrel in 454, but I chose to go with the 480 Ruger instead. MGM is making my barrel as we speak, 8.5" long. Should be a great deer thumper. I still love my 375 JDJ in the Encore pistol, but having an extra barrel is nice.

My friend shoots an Encore pistol in 45-70 with no brake. It is wicked with the IMR 3031 loads with the 350's. I shot two rounds of the 405's a couple weeks ago. My hands are still sore from it! My 375 will leave your knuckles bloody and hand sore after about 20 rounds. I have rather large hands and no matter how I hold that darn thing, it smacks my knuckles. It shoots like a rifle, but can be hard to control. Most off the time I shoot one handed off the bench.

I plan on cutting the trigger guard spur off and relocating it. T/C is the worst designed hand cannon ever, but they are damn accurate.

Brenden

With that 223 14" barrel, I could hit things at 100 yards that you couldn't see without a scope. My targets were the 1" round stickers. Nail them things. Golf ball size targets were no problem. Sometimes I would put a clay pigeon out and with the first shot shoot out the middle, leaving the ring intact, then shoot the ring with the next shot. That way you get two targets out of one.

About 20 years ago group of about 15 were camped together on a Javalina hunt. The only successful hunter used a 223 Contender. He got as clean head shot at a little better than 100 yards through the factory iron sights. I can't recall for certain but guess the barrel length was at best 8 inches and possibly only 6. One of the other hunters had a cool looking bolt action 221 Fireball pistol. On the same trip I emptied a 1911 mag on a running pig and never hit it.

Jumping off subject. Highlights of the trip was one of the hunters finding a Tangerine sized what he claimed was a meteorite in a dry riverbed. It looked almost like lava rock to me but the weight felt like lead. The other highlight was breaking up a fist fight. .