Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rebarreling A Turk -- Threading The Barrel

Clemson

Now we get to the actual barrel work.

There are more ways to thread and chamber a barrel than Carter has pills. I am showing one way, and that way works for me. Other folks think it is heresy to thread barrels any way but between centers or maybe in 4-jaw chucks. Again, this ain't the only way! It is my way (on this barrel -- I am always learning), and I don't make any apologies for it!

In this series, I am holding the muzzle of the barrel in a 5C collet that I have taper cut to fit a sporter profile. There is almost no runnout, and since I am working at the far end of the barrel with a center in the breech end, error is pretty much nil. The first step is to take a light truing cut on the breech end.

TurkProjecta005.jpg

We want to cut the tenon longer than required. We will face it off later.

TurkProjecta008.jpg

We want the tenon final diameter to be 0.980 inches. To my mind, barrel work requires micrometers -- not calipers.

TurkProjecta010.jpg

The tenon is cut to finished diameter.

TurkProjecta013.jpg

We have to cut a relief groove at the juncture of the tenon and the breech to be able to disengage the cutting tool on each pass.

TurkProjecta016.jpg

This shot shows a High Speed Steel tool bit ground to 55 degrees for the Witworth threads. The compound is set to 27 degrees for threading.

TurkProjecta018.jpg

Dykem on the tenon allows for counting the threads to insure that we are cutting 12 tpi. I made a light pass just to see.

TurkProjecta019.jpg

Actual threading on the lathe requires concentration and some dexterity. Being a klutz by nature, I have to bear down for this step on every barrel! What you have to do is engage the half-nuts to start the threading, and then back the tool out and disengage the threads at the end of each pass. I run the machine at low RPM's (around 50 on my lathe).

TurkProjecta022.jpg

I use the actual receiver as a thread gauge. When I can turn the receiver onto the tenon by hand roughly two threads, I quit.

TurkProjecta024.jpg

Clemson