Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Any Dog Training Experts?

AzRednek

I'm in the process of house breaking my Rottie. Things were going well until he discovered that when he wants to go out and play be it 3:00AM or whenever. He barks like crazy and fakes taking a leak. I tried ignoring him this morning while climbing out of bed and he left me a big surprise in the hall way this morning. I got out of bed intent on taking him outside as soon as I took a leak and fired up the coffee pot. He took a dump right by the bathroom door. My backyard is surrounded by neighbors with barking dogs. My not quite 3 month old dog is afraid to be alone in the yard. I don't mind sitting outside while he does his business but there is no way I'm going outside in the middle of the night when he wants to burn up energy. it appears as though he is smart enough to manipulate me into going outside and also smart enough to teach me not to ignore him. If I could get him over the fear of my neighbor's dogs I could simply open the door and let him out. I've tried several times of putting him out on his own. He just yelps and scratches the door. He also recently learned the hard way a cat is not a playmate. Increasing his fear of being alone outside. Any suggestions??

I'm certainly not an egg-spurt but I've trained many GOOD DOGS.

A few pointers.

[1] No dog is smart..........that implies cognitive reasoning capability. Dogs don't have that ability. But they can learn. And a really well trained dog can have an understood vocabulary of approx 200 words. Some are easier to train because they are more predisposed to please their pack leader. That be you.

[2] Dogs learn by repetitive positive reinforcement for good acts. And repetitive negative reinforcement for bad acts. This is called "conditioned reflex". You have to decide good/bad because they don't know the difference. You have to be "CONSISTANT" or you just confuse and conflict them.

[3] Real good start that he already knows it pleases you for him to dump outside. NEVER hesitate, him dumping on floor you already know was your fault. Even though you know it was your fault, it is still your job to make him feel guilty for not holding it by scolding him. Everytime.

[4] Don't take him out to poop, let him out to poop. But watch him and don't let him in until done. Then do so immediately and praise him.

If he just yelps and scratches door, time for negative reinforcement. He is already a skiddish pup, that is a help. Wait inside door quietly where he doesn't see you. SLAP the door and make him jump while scolding with a firm "NO" if he does the scratch/yelp thing. It usually doesn't take very many times until he associates the scratching/yelping with an undesirable scary result. And it reinforces that even if he can't see you, there will be negative results. As soon as he does business "CALL" him in and praise him.

[5] His relationship between barking neighbor dogs has nothing to do with the [you boss/me dog] bond. But you can use it to MODIFY his response to them while reinforcing his response to you. Sit with him "close to the fence" with a pocket full of treats,[ best done when he is good and hungry]. Pet him, rub his belly/ears, rump whatever he likes to get his full undivided pleasurable attention. If he shies away drag him if necessary and sit him down. If he turns his head or tries to run, jerk his choke chain and demand his attention. Demand he sit where you want him to sit. REMEMBER who is boss. 15 minutes at a time with at least 1/2 hr between sessions. As many times a day as you can manage. All the while rewarding him with nice words and treats for paying attention to you and ignoring the barking idiots next door.

He learns that their noise has no ill effects. But sitting with you close to their noise is rewarding. If he is really really rowdy and just won't sit still. Take him away from the situation then bring him back but farther away. Don't just move back from the fence. Make it YOUR idea where you sit. By leaving the area for a time and coming back he disassociates that it was his idea to misbehave that allowed him to prevail. Move a little closer to the fence each session until he is totally comfortable with where ever you want to sit as long as he is ALLOWED to accompany you.

Most dogs are better people than most people are.

JM2c

We've paid for Bark Busters, but don't really use it. They have you yell, "Baah!" real loud when they do something wrong, and throw a small chain to the floor, if needed, to get their attention, then say immediately, "Good boy!" to praise a proper response.

We have three smaller dogs. We keep having pee problems in the living room (wood floor) at night, or when no one is looking. They're too lazy to go out, and don't want to go out when it's raining. I put a game camera in the spot to catch the perps. Had to put it in movie mode. Works well.