Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Attended Funeral For Ww 2 Vet Today

AzRednek

Got a feeling today's funeral will be the last I attend for a WW 2 Vet. The all volunteer honor guard did a terrific job. Despite a temperature of 112. The honor guard in their various branches of military dress uniforms stood in direct sunlight and conducted the gaveside ceremony perfectly.

Gone is a fellow gun collector and a real wheeler-dealer. His nick-name Buster since the 70's has shopped estate, yard and flea market sales. Gone will be Buster's extensive knowledge of US and British militaria. We could bring Buster a pouch, strap or any oddball military item. He could identify it.

We'll miss these fellas, well except for one patient I had in the 90s who talked about stabbing a Jap. He had a smile on his face.

A few years ago I was with my elderly aunt at a Dr's office. The Dr's office across the street from a VA operated rest home. The Dr's office specialty was geriatric patients. An older man in a wheel chair probably from the VA facility came in. The patient's caretaker apologetically claimed he had dementia after the old man starting making very loud disparaging remarks and jokes about a Dr the ol'man called Dr diaper head. While in the waiting room the old guy went nuts after an elderly Asian patient sat near him. The old guy looked at him saying "do you know many of you slant eyed sunza bitches I've killed". The old man using phrases like nips and chinks started telling war stories to the Asian. The Asian patient that looked Pilipino to me finally got up and moved to another seat after the old man said "The nips had enough sense to hide in caves but the only thing that scared you doped up chinks were flame throwers".