Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Favorite Bolt Handle Styles

z1r

Some one suggested we start a thread about everyone's own favorite handle style so here it is.

Post pics of your favorites and tell us why.

I'll hold off on pics for now but will say I prefer welded because of the variety you can get. My own thoughts and experiences on the matter are that considering how much most people end up spending on a rifle they cheap out on parts that they later regret not having spent the money on to get what they really wanted in the first place.

My least favorit welded handle is the Brownells dog leg style. However, I get a lot of requests for that style. Whenever I post pic of this handle I get ten requests the following month. P1010091.jpg

And of course, you post the picture!

That's another ten. :)

Exactly, lol!

Just goes to show that everyone has different tatses. And luckily we can accomodate them all. Oh, that and I need money, lol.

First is my fav. weld on style

post-272-1204989944_thumb.jpg

then my fav. forged one

post-272-1204989192_thumb.jpg

Both are scalloped fairly deeply for lower clearance... Just the styles that I prefer... note, some do not like "swept"... I obviously do!! MV

I don't have a picture handy but I like the butter knife style. Used to be real popular in 1950 and 60's sporters, especially on Mannilichers. I have a picture buried somewhere in my picture files, if I can find it I'll post it.

post-9-1205293795_thumb.jpg

mauserbolthandle002.jpg

Here's a forged bolt that Mike cleaned up a bit when he put my 8x60s together. He didn't forge it; I had that done previously. He did have to address a couple areas with a file to make it 100% though.

My next bolt handle with a be a TIG'd on straight handle. Either from Half Moon Gunshop or Talley.

mauserbolthandle002.jpg

Here's a forged bolt that Mike cleaned up a bit when he put my 8x60s together. He didn't forge it; I had that done previously. He did have to address a couple areas with a file to make it 100% though.

My next bolt handle with a be a TIG'd on straight handle. Either from Half Moon Gunshop or Talley.

Looks real good!

Z's working on one for me, can't wait to see it.

Kind of a personal thing but what i like on my rifles.

Rside.jpg

As far as I'm concerned there is no right or wrong, just personal preference. Well, unless the handle falls off. Don't laugh, I've seen it.

As far as I'm concerned there is no right or wrong, just personal preference. Well, unless the handle falls off. Don't laugh, I've seen it.

I didn't see it but a co-worker had his bolt handle come loose on his near new Remington 700. He claimed Remington ate it as it had to ago to a smith with a live round in the chamber. When he picked it up he was told no charge Remington took care of it.

Tanglewood,

I have that one's ugly sister.

z1r ya might have its sister,but I swear I got its mom and pop too. I wasn't the one that done em though!!! :lol:

I have always understood a forged bolt (on a military action) is one that has been heated, cut, bent and rewelded. They all end up fairly short and stubby. Some of the photos I am seeing here don't look like forged bolts to me, but look more like welded on bolts.

Maybe it's a matter of symantics, ie... forged vs. cast handles that are weled on or military bolts that have been forged into a new shape.

Are we all talking the same? Keep me straight please.

U.G. I have personally never been exposed to a forged handle that was also welded... But I may be inexperienced... While some believe that there is only "one way"... I believe that it is more a matter of "who done it" than the "way"!!! And this thread proves that we certainly don't all like the same "gal" !!! For me... price vs result = works just fine... But, I aint buildin' heirlooms...I'm content w/ simply works!!! MV

All the pics up until Roscoe's are of welded on handles. The old handle is cut off, and a new, much better looking one (lol) is welded on.

Roscoe's was forged. The job was a good one and the handle looked good but we did encounter problems where the bolt root (square stub at the base of the handle) was displaced fore and aft. The result is that the bolt rubbed on the receiver at the front and the shroud rubbed on the bolt root at the rear. I had to remove material and while at it offered to "improve" the lines. Jason and I liked the result, at least I think he did.

The bolt tanglewood posted is truely a forged bolt job where the handle was heated red hot and whacked with a suitable heavy object in order to bend it.

If yer cutting and welding then it's a welded job as far as I am concerned.

My bias against forged handles stems from the fact that most are poorly done. Thye tend to displace metal into areas you don't want, and the handles are too short especially for scope use. You end up banging your knuckles into the objective if you use a scope. This of course is not true of all forged handles but certainly most of the ones I've seen in person. I find that welding offers up more choices. But if a forged handle suits one's needs there is nothing wrong with it. believe me, I've seen my share of botched weld jobs too.

You can get a short stubby handle by either welding or forging.

I applaud anyone that can stick weld a bolt handle on. I used to stick weld pretty good in high school but I have a hard enough time with my fancy schmantzy tig welder.

this does come down to individual taste because I love the second one :P Tanglewood

Z,

I don't know if that was due to welding ability or being hard headed I spent 10 times as much time grinding and polishing as welding. It was just what I had to use at the time. after using Mig I don't think I would Arc one again when I get Tig I'll probably say the same thing about mig.

Roy

All the pics up until Roscoe's are of welded on handles. The old handle is cut off, and a new, much better looking one (lol) is welded on.

not quite... but I am not adept at picture posting... the one I say is forged is in fact, w/o being touched up!!

BTW the welded one I like is not perfect... but close enough for the girls I go with!!! MV