Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How To Measure The Length Of Pull?

rdm1962

Good Evening Everyone.

I'll be getting my 1895 Mauser back from Clemson next week. I am building this one for my brother that lives in San Antonio. I am just out side of St. Louis. I may need to shorten the stock. He is 6" shorter and built rounder than I am. Is there a way for him to get his length of pull without a "gauge"? I have always heard that the length of your for-arm was a good rule. Anyone have a better way to 'guesstamate" this measurement.

Thanks Ralph

Good Evening Everyone.

I'll be getting my 1895 Mauser back from Clemson next week. I am building this one for my brother that lives in San Antonio. I am just out side of St. Louis. I may need to shorten the stock. He is 6" shorter and built rounder than I am. Is there a way for him to get his length of pull without a "gauge"? I have always heard that the length of your for-arm was a good rule. Anyone have a better way to 'guesstamate" this measurement.

Thanks Ralph

Email sent

Don

• 4 weeks later...

your lop will also change with the style of stock you making.

a standard american style closed grip stock will be 1 1/2- 2" shorter than a open grip european style stock.

the length of your forearm to trigger finger rule works ok for closed grip stocks.