Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Chamber Question 308 Match

fyrd

While I am not familiar with your exact setup, the whole 308 v. 7.62 NATO and 223 v. 556 NATO debate is a whole other can of worms. The last AR I built has a 223 Wylde chamber purported to use both without problems. I have a Genuine Colt AR that is stamped 223 and I have shot a boat load of 556 through it without problems, but "the experts" swear we'll all be killed by doing such silly things. 308 is a lot more power. Match chambers are usually tighter than "non-match," so there's that too. Personally, if the action is strong, I would try some mil-surp 7.62 in it and look for pressure signs, like hard to open the action, flattened out primers, etc. If it looks OK, I wouldn't worry about it, but that's just me.

I've never heard of a "match" reamer. I'm speculating that it might be for cutting minimum headspace. If that is correct possibly using military ammo could be a problem with foreign mfd ammo. Their tolerances may not be as tight as US GI. I can't see foreign ammo being unsafe but with a chamber set to minimum headspace. The bolt might not close.

Several years ago the 762/556 vs 308/223 was a topic for numerous debates here. In all honesty I don't believe there is a right answer. The rifle manufactures like Winchester and Remington also want to sell ammo. So naturally they will discourage using GI ammo. The US military doesn't was anybody stealing their ammo so one solution is to claim GI ammo is unsafe in civilian owned rifles.

This thread is a good read:

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?55038-match-chamber

I'm seeing "Match" chambers having tighter throats, minimal dimensions, and -- more importantly -- leads designed for a particular bullet.

From what I'm seeing, fitting Milspec ammunition in a match chamber is "iffy" depending on who made it; you might get a batch that works, and many more that may not.

The fact that you're interested in trying different types of ammunition in your rifle probably means a "match" chamber isn't for you.

I'm wondering if a custom set of dies for a given "standard" chamber would be more beneficial than investing in special reamers?

Well, my greed and petulance is coming out. :)

I always want as much accuracy as possible. However, one of the reasons for building a 308 in the first place is to be able to use military ammunition. (Because anything a 308 can do, an '06 can do better.) so.... I am probably trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Just an FYI, I have an email to Pacific Tools pending. If they respond I will post the results here.

Fyrd

Fyrd, are you aware that this site has a selection of reamers that members can rent out if they join the reamer club? There is a pinned thread at the top of this topic with info on joining and costs.

A standard reamer may be a better fit for your needs for handling across the spectrum ammo.

Spiris

Fyrd, are you aware that this site has a selection of reamers that members can rent out if they join the reamer club? There is a pinned thread at the top of this topic with info on joining and costs.

A standard reamer may be a better fit for your needs for handling across the spectrum ammo.

Spiris

Yes, I saw the reamer club but aren't ready to jump in quite yet.

And you are probably correct that a standard chamber is the way to go at this point, but, you know.... greedy..... :)

Fyrd

A standard 308 chamber is probably capable of more accuracy than any of us can do with it. A standard reamer with very careful reaming to just barely bring the chamber to close on a Go gauge is probably real close to what a "match" reamer is going to be. Or, the "match" reamer may have been made to very slightly closer tolerances than a standard reamer. If you have the match reamer already, I'd use it and if it didn't work with 762 ammo, you can always touch it up a little more with a regular reamer. If you don't have the reamer yet, I'd call the maker and ask them what the difference was, or call Brownell's tech support and ask them, if that's where you buy it.

I had some 308 match brass unfired in a box of random 308 brass I purchased off gun broker. I was loading some planking rounds for a 95 mauser. The brass wrinkled going through the standard 308 win RCBS dies. The wrinkle was right where the neck and brass expanded. I verified my depth of press and was using lube. They appear to be smaller, tighter. I did shoot them through my 95, it has a Remington take off barrel that is forgiving. I loaded them at the low end charge. *** small ring acceptable pressures. They when in the range trash. I shy away from the bench rest, match reamers. I am a practical man with a practical plan. If you want competition shooter that is it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my two cents worth. I built an 308 match Winchester on an Yugo Mauser. Military surplus ammo is tight and have to force the bolt closed. Name brand ammo is hit and miss too. Match ammo will chamber very easy. I have bought like 6 different brand of regular 308 as mmo and two Black Hills match ammo. Out of six different boxes only 4 chamber easy.

So in my experience, yes you will have problems.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...