Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Immigrants At Walmart

FC

I got stuck in line for at least 15 minutes at Wally behind a couple short, Central American Indian women, and their six or seven children. Why? One had stuff separated into four piles, and was paying with WIC checks (thank you American taxpayer). I have doubts she could read, so her ~ eight year old son was helping with figuring things out. Neither the cashier, nor myself were very happy. Four gallons of 1% milk- nope, has to be whole milk. That took some time to explain. Slowly the milk was turned in. The boy goes clear to the back of the store (wait,wait, wait); he comes back with one gallon. No good. Mom, son, and daughter all leave the checkout and come back five minutes later with three gallons of whole milk. Everything is clearly checked against the WIC list on each check, the checks are run, then the checks are signed. No embarassed looks from any of them, no apology, and no "thank you" at the end. That's the future!

I guess my wife is right- stop going to Walmart very much.

Those must be some of the "undocumented immigrants" that Obummer wants to bring out of the shadows. My daughter worked for the WIC office in our county. This kind of stuff is common place. Ralph

I had a similar incident behind a family of immigrants about a year ago. I left my cart standing and walked out of Safeway after standing in line for apx 15 minutes. I was in a rotten mood forgetting my cane, back hurting like hell and my patience was thin. The carry-out girl also acting as a translator had trouble communicating saying something about their dialect. She made a few trips bringing back the correct items. About the 4th or 5th time, the immigrant wife raised her volume apparently arguing over a few packages of dried macaroni exchanged for boxed mac and cheese. I just left.

Being in retail as long as I have I state that they don't care. The margin on grocery items is only 2% - 4%. They also know that eventually you'll be back. Wally world actually makes no money on items like Tide or Bounty. They sell some things at cost. I was a manager for them for a year. They know that you'll spend more money if your getting a deal on a few items. They also know that the welfair / foodstamp people will shop there because they can make it a 1 stop location. They can get thing covered by assistance and other non covered items. You can get your wic items at the same time as liquor and chips. Ralph

Time at checkout, and loss of customers like me should be factored in if they care about bottom line. In line, I got to thinking about how scared I've been of us becoming Greece. Then I thought, you know what, just let it happen sooner rather than later. Dragging out the economic collapse is going to make it even more painful than it's going to be if it happened now.

I was a carry-out while in high school in the late 60's. The emergency assistance checks for migrant farm workers from the Catholic charities only said " food items only, no alcohol or tobacco". It wasn't unusual to see a family blow 25 bucks which in 67 bought plenty of food on cookies, sweets and soda. Sell it in the parking lot and come in later and buy cheap wine. At the time a 16oz bottle of Ripple cost 79 cents. The families that legitimately spent it on food were a real PIA. Apparently lacking math skills they always over spent then took a long time to decide what to remove as they were not allowed more than 99 cents in change. 10 cent boxes of Jello, nickel candy bars and penny bubble gum was almost used like currency so they could squeeze 99 cents in change. A Pentecostal church in the area always had a member of the church along to stop the fraud.

Can't be profitable for Wally to tie up a checker. Tough situation to be the cheap spot where the illegals will go, driving off cash customers.

The Wal-Mart in my area has a self-serve area. There are a few self serve registers that do not accept the food stamp card or WIC that move pretty fast. They usually have a sign saying "cash or debit card only". I always make sure what I'm buying does not have a damaged bar code and get through quickly.

Yeah, 20 bucks was average for a paper bag of groceries. Mom had us on food stamps. It was humiliating. She'd get back plastic coins for change. I just wanted to crawl into a shell.

I didn't self-check out because I had clearance toys.

In Mexico each grocery cart in a store that serves Mexicans, not the stores in tourist areas has a calculator mounted on it. As I recall it was tried in the USA a short time after calculators became affordable. The experiment discovered Americans spent less. If I recall correctly 10-15% less.

I have seen Mexican families in the USA use a calculator while grocery shopping. The few I've seen with a calculator paid cash. Those that are using a govt or charitable handout in many cases seem to have spent foolishly. I hate getting behind them as there is almost always a dispute. Not disputing just the total but over non covered goods usually beer, wine, deli items, dog food and the most recent one I saw, light bulbs.

When their food stamp card is swiped and they're short. I usually move into another line. Nearly always they start removing items, the casher rings up a sub total and plenty of back and forth. The process pushes my patience button and I try to move to another line. Rarely have I ever seen a food stamp recipient pay the difference in cash. I'm paying more for groceries now shopping at an Albertsons but I avoid the long check out lines and the obnoxious children allowed to run wild.

All together I'm just pissed off when some 16 and up use WIC. Why on earth we reward those children having children? Now I'm not old by any means, but what my grandparents told me that it was look down one the girl and her parents when she got pregnant when she was not married. Now let's give them everything under the sun, foid, money, housing and medical. And don't get me started on the illegal, to late. They come here illegally, refused to our way of life and not speak American English and have "citizen" babies and we give them the same crap as those worthless teen moms? What the hell? This country is going to hell in an hand basket and the middle class letting it happen.

Rob

WalMart makes a fortune serving these people. I would like to see a pay to enter grocery store open up just to keep the **** out

I nearly feel like I'm paying just to get into Alberstons. I figure I'm paying about 10% more compared to Wally's or one of the numerous stores in my area where the signs and music are Spanish. I recently discovered getting to Wally's early I avoid the free loaders. Guess they have no reason to wake up early.

Don't see them at Sam's or Costco, I guess?

I've seen what I'd consider immigrants a few times at Cosco. One family really stands out in my memory. I was right behind him and watched him pull out a huge and I do mean hugs wad of rubber banded Frankies. Very well dressed and mom was wearing some huge rocks. Dad had a few G's worth of gold chain around his turtle neck shirt. I knew for certain they were immigrants as a boy about 10-11 was translating for him. In my neck of the woods.

In parking lots, Cosco especially the unmarked, late model, high end vehicles parked illegally in handicapped parking places. Nearly always turn out to be immigrants. Usually see one or two unlicensed Navigators or Caddy SUV's hogging up the handicapped parking or parking in marked no parking zones in Cosco's parking lot. The Home Depot near my home has a security guard monitor the parking. I got a warning a few weeks ago after forgetting to hang my handicapped placard on the rear view mirror. I haven't been to Sam's in nearly 20 years. I got into a dispute back in the 35 MM days. New in the box camera lens was junk and they insisted I had to send it back to Pentax.