Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Commercial Mauser Bolts

jverduce

Hi Guys, Just for grins, With many opinions regarding forging the mauser bolt handle or welding a new handle on to a military bolt, what would be the possible problems incurred with using a commercial mauser bolt like the one used on the Parker Hale sporters? Are the internals different? At first look, the overall apperance seems the same with the notable exception of the guide bar and of course the shroud on the commercial. I guess my interest in this option is that the commercial already has a low scope configuration with a nice sweep back. What are your thoughts?

Biggest problem I see with the Parker hale bolts is that they used many different styles, many different bolts, made by many different people. Some were made by Santa Barbara, some were milsurp 98's that were either welded or forged, and some, well I don't know who made them. All to me have been less than aesthetically appealing. Functional to be sure but appealing, no.

But, remember, appearance is largely a matter of personal preference. I find the Interarms and FN style to be more appealing even though I don't like much sweep back.

Now, to stop preaching and answer your question. Some of the parker hale bolts did not have guide ribs. Make sure the one you intend to use does. And some are not really for 98's so verify that it indeed is before you buy. Assuming you get one for a 98 you will be able to use it.