Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Welding Clamps, Extra Arms. Need Advice

FC

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200415218_200415218

I want to make a bench out of golf club heads like I saw at an art store. Pretty neat, but I need "hands", an articulating set of clamps, to hold the shortened iron golf club heads. The link above is the only thing I could find. I'd need two, and would have to mount them to my sawhorses. Will this be the best bet, or any other ideas?

No, they just clamp onto that sawhorse. Shouldn't be much of a problem to attach to a regular sawhorse. Another problem- I have to make two balls of golf club heads (flat on top) to support the bench seat. Now for how to make a decent globe shape...

All the golf clubs are cut off with about 3 inches of shaft still on them. Eight are used for feet. Even the seat is made of these. I have an arc welder. MIG would be nice, but arc should do fine. The whole thing is spray painted. Pretty impressive. I might get a picture up on the site.

Flatulant Fowl,

Idea for globes is to use a sacrificial form inside. Place heads covering exterior of form like a mosaic. Quickly tack pieces and keep a spray squirty bottle handy so as not to melt form. After solidly tacking. Remove form from interior. Then weld.

http://www.foamballinnovation.com/

Karl, glueing and welding are two processes that when mixed, rarely end well. To glue, pieces have to be touching at adhesive point. Same place welds must be. Can't weld over glue or any other contaminate. It just boils up in a bubbly tsunami of what is called "birdshit".

JM2c

Neat. Guess you need a squirter assistant to put out those fires! Thanks for the link. I'm guessing I'll have to sandblast those clubs to get paint to stick. I bought 80 clubs at a buck each. The bench I saw runs $1100. Nope- not sold!

• 4 weeks later...

Don, I already bought the jawhorses that can hold plywood, and bought two of the clamps. Could I hold them? Yes, but to make a neat looking circle out of golf club heads I need something to hold them.

At least the golf clubs were cheap here in golf land- $1 each! I bought about 80. The bench I saw was selling for something like $1400.

Not the greatest picture. It has two round "balls" of golf clubs supporting it, with the club heads for feet. Really neat. I may try making a back out of long clubs. Styrofoam balls for forms ran $45 each.

post-1-0-02345000-1374772576_thumb.jpg