Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Evolution Of A Rifle, Part 2

Sailormilan2

I've been working on a Palmetto PA10 for the past several months, and thought I had it up and ready to go.

Well, CA changed the Bullet Button laws, so I decided to go featureless, and reinstall the standard mag release. Rifle now has a Monster Man grip, fixed A2 stock, and SEI Coast Guard muzzle brake. The muzzle brake started life as one on an M14/M1A style rifle, till my son had a squib load and fired another round behind it. Blowing the muzzle off the rifle, and deforming the M14 brake frame. I rethreaded the brake, and now it is on the PA10 and works just fine.

I installed an adjustable gas block, but didn't get it centered exactly right so had a few "short strokes". So, shooting was cut short until I fixed that. (now fixed, I think)

All the empties landed in a 2' circle, at the 5 o'clock position(behind me, to my right), about 4'-5' away.

Shooting was done at 100 yds, using my reloads. Reloads were USGI Match brass, 168 gr CC bullet, 41.7 gr IMR4064, WLR primer, loaded to 2.82" COL. Mags were ASC .308 Mags. I need to work on the trigger, or replace it. Too heavy.

As it looks now.

PA10_zpsavxumj2f.jpg

Target.

PA10Target_zpsm4xkhfw2.jpg

Nice shot string!! The pistol grip looks unusual, what kind is it?

That's a Monster Man. It is considered a non pistol grip, and therefore can be put on a rifle to replace the pistol grip. The thumb can't wrap around it. You kind of hold the rifle as you would a standard stocked rifle. How they used to teach people to hold the 1903 Springfield. With the thumb held to the side.

I had already installed a ambi safety, which works perfectly as the thumb is right there to work it.

Just curious, how many slugs down the new bore before you got any decent grouping. My experience with new barrels is there is a break-in number of shots needed before seeing clusters. One exception was a costing way to much McGowen cyro frozen barrel that clustered the moment I got its cherry. A&B barrels in particular were a bit wild from the start but seemed to settle down after 30 or so shots.

Another curiosity or your opinion. Do you think a Monster Man type grip might soften up the painful pistol grip on a 12ga riot gun?? Guess its old age for me!! I can no longer deal with the wrist pain shooting 12ga slug or buckshot loads. I did find some Remington "reduced recoil" 12ga loaded with real BB's. I managed to rapid fire five shots but my hand and wrist were sore for two days.

I think the grouping will improve a bit with a better trigger(this one is typical AR, horrible), and more rounds down the barrel. That group measures about 1.3", which isn't bad for a semi auto. So far, I've only got about 30 rds down the barrel.

I don't think Monster Man makes grip for anything but the AR and the AK.