Military Firearm Restoration Corner

R.famage Sporter

Longbow14

I recently started looking for a rifle for my father as a "you're a grandpa" gift. His requests were "something interesting" and also "a Normal caliber". I was out bid on a few nicely sporterized Springfields, and Husqvarna rifles. What I finally found practically in my back yard was an R.Famage Mauser.

These rifles started life as Kar 98s and some other various models. in the 50's the guns were shipped to South America where they were converted to fire the American 30-06. Most people imagine South Americans armed with FALs, and Russian rifles. so where did the 30-06s go? many traveled over the border and were turned into cheap deer guns.

10363718_10204281287085314_2392260544188

I can only imagine who bought this rifle with the care they put into it I know they were proud of it. The stepped barrel has been cut back to balance out the rifle. The safety was removed for scope clearance, topped with a fixed power Monoscope; the 6x should be more than sufficient for any hunting my father dreams of doing. I'm not sure of the scope mounts, i've never seen one like it before. 10945586_10204281287405322_1269594751756

I really enjoy the mister handy type butter knife bolt. i may replace it at a later date but for now it looks neat. The rifle is housed nicely in a Bishop wood stock. I added the Millitary leather sling to give it a little nod of it's heritage.

all and all this gun only cost me 250.

10858629_10204281287645328_8657552909977

thoughts, ideas, concerns?

I strongly suspect as I had a similar sporter in the early 70's but not the Famage name. Mine started life as an Argentine 7.65 and the chamber reamed to 30/06. Shot to shot accuracy was minute of deer with a cheapie Universal brand scope. After I got into reloading and used .312 bullets the accuracy remarkably improved to a 100 yard bench rested cluster. Cram a 50 cal pure lead ball through it and mike it to be certain of the bore size.

I have a mil-surp from Colombia that was factory chambered in 06. Mexico also used the 30/06. Even if it is a 765 you did extremely well for only 250. My guess at today's prices a butter knife bolt handle is worth a buck or more plus the jeweled extractor and Bishop stock. NICE FIND!!

EDIT: You might want to consider contacting member Don Marky and get him to do a Winchester type safety. Screw Timney the new owner appears to be a flamer and screwed me over on a trigger. I paid full retail price for a Mauser trigger w/ side safety. Woman working the front desk gave me a Springfield trigger and the new owner refused to exchange it.