Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sometimes It Doesn't Pay To Go Shooting

FC

I had foot surgery last week, and got sick of sitting around, so I went up the hill to shoot my flintlock and SKS. Things went downhill. First- my SKS slam-fired. Then I peeled my pinkie open ramming down a tough round into the flintlock. I slipped and the sharp edge of the barrel peeled an inch of tissue up like peeling a potato. Then the SKS, after several rounds, would not stay cocked, thus, probably the slam-fire (which scared me pretty good). Then, comparing modern plastic-backed copper hollow point rounds to my round balls, I got one wedged tight mid-way down the barrel of the flinter. I fired it hoping to spit it out, but nope! CO2 wouldn't dislodge it. I doubt I can get it out with a screw, so I'll have to try to get the breech plug off, which won't be much fun.

Accuracy with lead balls has never been good with the flintlock, but much better with the modern .50 caliber bullets with the plastic gas check. I'm thinking a minie ball mold, if I ever get that blasted slug out!

Flintlock, at rest, 75 yards with round ball was about a 12 inch spread! Disgusting for a rifled barrel! Modern bullets, about 4 inches for the two I shot before jamming the barrel. SKS is a .311 or .312, shooting Silver Bear, which are what, .310? Made a diagonal string. I need to do handloads with the .312 bullets I bought.

Looks like they just sell .512. I'm thinking they'll get stuck. Thoughts?

I got the breech plug off and rammed out the bullet. Fouling had it stuck good. I slightly fractured the stock getting the barrel out, unfortunately. I glued it, and it should be fine. Very little maple in the lock area, so it's fragile. The rear at the dovetail of the barrel tang was stuck.

The SKS trigger group had come unlocked and fallen slightly. The plastic pistol grip obscured the view. Now it's working.

Glad you are ok..I had a rotten nigh at well..went to the doctor check up and he told me I had to drink WATER..three or more classes a day!! So I did. I am good at following orders and had a rotten night..it was like a cheap wine hang over...

Gad we is gettin old pal

karl

• 2 weeks later...