Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Reloading Advice On 270

AzRednek

I reload for one of my best friends. My bud has a Japanese manufactured Smith and Wesson 270 bolt action and I'm currently negotiating a multi-gun swap. If the trade flies. I might acquire a 270 Remington Woodsmaster I believe it is named, a semi-auto. I'm trying to assemble the most accurate load launching 130 or 135 gr slug. I can't be specific about the brand of bullet or primer I'll be using. It's using what ever can be bought or I have on hand. It is the type of powder and how much, I will really appreciate advice. If anybody has a particular bullet or primer type or brand you preferred. I'd like to hear about it. The panic buying will eventually end, soon I hope.

I discovered with a Remington 270 pump action I gave my son after I became infected with the magnumitus plague. I had to use a small base sizing die to assure smooth chambering and reliability. I assume the semi version will likely need it as well. It has been close to 20 years since I handloaded 270 and can't say for certain the types of powder I tried. If my memory is correct I used Winchester 760, IMR 4350 and 3031. I did discover with the 270 pump with various powders. I couldn't get close to published max without showing signs of excessive pressure and mediocre at best shot to shot accuracy.

In summary I'm looking for anybody's pet load for my bud's 270 bolt action and possibly a load I could reduce 10% or so, use the small base sizing die that would also work well if I get the semi. If I do obtain the 270 semi, I'll use a marking pen and keep the handloaded 270 separate.

My go-to round for the .270 is 45 grains of RamShot Hunter pushing a Hornady 150 gr. spitzer. With a 130 gr. bullet, that same powder starting load ranges between 49.3 and 51.3 (49.3 for the Sierra SBT, 50.9 for the Barnes TSX, and 51.3 for the Hornady SST).
By the way, I shoot a Weatherby Vanguard .270 which is really a Howa, which I believe is the same as the S&W.

Well my trade didn't happen so I wont have to concern myself shooting 270 in a semi. I do have some IMR 4350 on hand so I guess I'll start there. I've never tried the Ramshot brand of powder but it is going on my list along with the H4831. The gun shop I do business has a two can limit. Not being connected enough to know when reloading goods arrive. I just keep checking every week, usually Wednesday or Thursday. Hopefully I might get lucky this week and not walk out empty handed as I have the past two weeks.

I got on the net a few minutes after Fox gave it to Obama and ordered reloading components. I'm in good shape on primers and handgun powder but struck out on rifle powders only getting two, one pound cans of 748. The last shipment of my back order from Powder Valley showed up just last week along with a note indicating all other items that were back ordered have been canceled. Looks like 55gr 223 FMJ bullets must all being used for the govt orders. I ordered 500, received zero and the back order canceled.

My go-to round for the .270 is 45 grains of RamShot Hunter pushing a Hornady 150 gr. spitzer. With a 130 gr. bullet, that same powder starting load ranges between 49.3 and 51.3 (49.3 for the Sierra SBT, 50.9 for the Barnes TSX, and 51.3 for the Hornady SST).

By the way, I shoot a Weatherby Vanguard .270 which is really a Howa, which I believe is the same as the S&W.

You're right his rifle is a Howa.