Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Son's 10Mm Commander Test

Sailormilan2

I've now set up my son's Colt 1991A1 45 acp Commander to be able to switch barrels/slides and go 9mm/38 Super/10mm. I did a range test the other day to try out the 10mm set up. Here are the results.

Left target is 180 gr coated cast TC bullets over 12.9 WC820(stout load), right target is 175 gr coated cast SWC over 6.6 gr Unique. Distance is 15 yds off the bench.
Joes10mmB_zps6v3cvrlt.jpg

Az, I bought these already coated. Before I went to the expense and trouble to get my own molds and sizine dies, I wanted to see how the guns shoot.. I'm set up to cast for almost every caliber I have.

I'm in good shape and heavily invested into casting equipment and molds. I have enough lube to last me years but I've been curious about powder coating. It seems to be a better, possibly easier way to go vs conventional sizing and lubing.

I saw that coating stuff too and am also interested. I found a web site somewhere selling the stuff in powder form that you mix with acetone, roll your boolits around in, let dry, then bake in the oven. Looks interesting.

Apparently, you can get it at Harbor Freight also.

Is it the same powder coating stuff? I know HF sells it. It is kind of a plastic. Is that what they are using?

I really have no idea, since I haven't used it yet. I have read up a little on it, and several of the threads I have read have said that the stuff from HF was used. What I have read is that it generally takes two coats applied. First coat, baked, then a second coat applied while warm, then rebaked. The bullets are then run through a sizer die when they cool.