Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Get To Mark One Off My Bucket List!

8uck5nort

Just got all finalized today.

Myself, my son Anthony and my brother just reserved a boar hunt for Mid May in North Carolina. This is my first time ever to boar hunt so not really sure what to expect.

I am looking at some of my finished rifles and am trying to decide which one to use.

I have a 8mm mauser, 6.5 mm carcano, 7.62x54R nagant a couple of 357 mags, or 44 mag and should have my 357 max done by mid- may. I finished the stock work today with the exception of a duracoat clear coat and should be test firing in a couple of weeks. Should have the metal work done month or so.

I have a 30-06 and 7mm mauser almost done, but will not have them ready by May.

So which one?

So which one?

8mm mauser, then the 7.62x54R nagant. For boar I wouldn't consider the others. From what I hear they are some tough animals.

I'd also choose the heaviest bullets.

Just my opinion, maybe some honest to goodness real life boar hunter will give you a response.

T :D

European wold boars are amour plated and hard to croak. Feral hogs aren't and much easier to bring down. This one had been shot 4 times previously from distance because there was very little expansion of slugs. All were 30 cal 2 150 gr spitzers, and 2 150 gr flat nose like a 30-30. Skull is IIRC 20" long he was 8 ft nose to bung and weighted a tad over 500 #. Tuskes are 4".

Go with the 8mm and deep penetrating bullets if hunting Euro's

JM2c