Military Firearm Restoration Corner

7Mm Mauser (7X57) "project"

Dr.Hess

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/19/2018 at 4:24 PM, Dr.Hess said:

That battle of Spion Kop was interesting.  Good write up.

There's a Wikipedia on it too.  Whenever I want to know what an idiot thinks about a subject, I go straight to Wikipedia.  Anyway, interesting read.  Can a citizen soldier based resistance defeat a professional army with unlimited resources?  Couldn't 120 years ago.  50 years ago, the war was lost not on the battlefield, but at home thousands of miles away. 

On the hunting thing, I read an article in Firearms News (old SGN) recently on some monster 4 gauge rifles for such things.  They even had a different formula for bullet muzzle energy.  Energy is energy, of course, but the "foot pounds" used today does not equate with stopping power.  Mention was made of some 3xx caliber rifle having the same muzzle energy in ft-lbs as the big bore dangerous game rounds, and hunters seeing that, going after dangerous game with them.  And getting killed by said game.  That's probably what lead to caliber laws for hunting there.  I would think that losing your tourist hunters would be bad for business.

There is a whole lot of post-action info written on the subject of citizen soldiers from every era.   Most I've concluded is not much removed from the typical "war story."  I don't mean that disrespectfully, merely as an observation by someone who spends waaaay too much time researching history.   Of course the citizen soldier, fighting on his own accord has quite a bit to brag about, whether successful or not.  

You're absolutely right about "foot pounds" et al.  Physics is physics!  All the ideas on firearm power, bullet design, etc. in the end come down to one thing when the object is killing a living animal.  Death comes from depriving the brain of oxygen (or destroying the brain itself!).    Wherever you're creating the leak in the plumbing, the faster you lower blood pressure the faster the brain stops working.  Big bullets make big holes.  Fast, super expanding bullets create wider devastation (usually).  In the end though, nothing substitutes for bullet placement and enough penetration to reach the organs you hope to perforate!  

As for hunters being killed by game.  Eh, I'm not so sure it's entirely bad for business.  Well, unless your particular company has a reputation for repeated incidents such as this.   In a more general nature, "dangerous game" hunting just wouldn't have the attraction it does (or the potential for profit) if it weren't dangerous!  Motorcycles, fast cars, dangerous game, and for some, certain kinds of... uh, well, "partners" possess a danger factor that borders on addiction.   Some of us just don't seem to learn.  Hahaha!     

I've got a line on a genuine South African Boer style hat and bush shoes.  If I can get them, I'll have to get a picture made of me wearing them, holding the 7mm Mauser and Bubba, my Rhodesian Ridgeback.  I'll call the pic "Fee Fi Fo Fum."

That'd be awesome.  A friend's ridgeback followed me the first time I hunted francolin.  In fact he retrieved the first one I shot.  Retrieved isn't exactly the right word though.  He found it for me in the tall grass.  Then he ate it. <_<  Luckily, it must have filled him up since he then went home and let me hunt in peace. 

They are pretty smart.  He probably decided that you would be good for getting his meal.  Mine is 10 now and in semi-retirement.  He will bark at something that needs it, but you have to pay attention.  I've gone out there and there's a copperhead next to him.  He's like "Hey, I barked at it.  Twice.  You didn't do anything so I figgered it was OK."

• 1 month later...

Themed items:

• Hat.
  • Shoes.  Veldskoen, traditional shoe of the Boer, dating back to the 16th century.
  • Dog.  Rhodesian Ridgeback.  Bubba don't like "new" things, and standing there getting his picture taken is "new."
  • Sport coat. Pics of the era seem to always have Boers in sport coats.  Maybe they just put their best clothes on for the pic.
  • Bowie Knife.  Pics of the era show Boer with classic design Bowie knifes.
  • Bandolier.  Some pics of bandoliers as shown, some with leather covered pouches of stripper clips.  The stripper clips wouldn't work with the scope anyway.
  • Small Ring 7mm Mauser.  Of course, that one is a Spanish Mauser and the Boers used German made Mausers, but the caliber is correct and that's what started the thread and pic.