Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rebarreled An Fn

z1r

Rebarreled an FN from 3.76 Steyr to .30-06. The owner liked the .376 Steyr I built him on a 1908 Brazilian better and after killing 6 head of game with it this year e decided this one was no longer needed.

I pulled the barrel and installed this PO Ackley barrel I had. Replaced the bolt with an original FN I had. Fitted the three position safety to the bolt. ***** safety note (when installing these be sure to check the safety in the third position too!) ***** This one would allow the sear to slip past when the trigger was pulled in the locked position but not in the safe position. Took some additional fitting to sort this out.

Installed the NECG rear sight and williams front. Then adjusted the bedding so the abrrel was no longer pointed into the air and glassed it again. I'm just waiting for the front sight blade so I can install it and ship it off to him.

DSC00662.jpg

It's a sweet rig weighing in at 7.5 lbs. 24.5" bbl.

she's a looker! i may be in the minority, but i love those FN bolts. i guess it comes from my upbringing about the Browning Safari rifles...

heath

she's a looker! i may be in the minority, but i love those FN bolts. i guess it comes from my upbringing about the Browning Safari rifles...

heath

I'm not sure if we're in the minority, but you're not alone. They're my favorite.

Nice looking rifle, did you do the stock work?

Kenny

No, I merely bedded it correctly. Whoever stocked it originall did a horrible job inletting & bedding it. The barrel was barely inlet 1/3 of the way. The stock was a Mel Smart acra-bond laminate. Very nice stock. I have the barrel sitting at the halfway mark now and have corrected the other bedding issues.

I swapped the guy my Ackley .30-06 barrel for his .376 Steyr barrel. Now I just need a reamer and sometime in the way distant future I'll have myself a .376 Steyr.