Military Firearm Restoration Corner

So Far Only The Democrat Senator Cared Enough To Reply.

karlunity

LOOK AT THE PERSON NOT THE PARTY

So far Only the DEMOCRAT senator cared enough to reply.

I wrote both senators from FL Rubio GOP and Nelson Dem.
About that marine being held in Mexico.
So far only Nelson the dem has been kind enough to take some action and report back.
I would add that Nelson has just been reelected for 6 so he does not need my vote and as being in his 70's he may retire.
Rubio?
Not a word from him so far.

This is why I say You have to look at the man not the party.
It is true that Nelson has some policies I don't like BUT he is at least trying to help out a brother marine carries a lot of weight for me.

If the person (and for a politician, I'm using that term loosely) has the guts to stand up for what they and their constituents want, then, OK. But not many (any?) of them will. Yes, your Dem replied to you as that is a no-brainer. Replying and "looking into it" is not going to have any blowback. My problem is the party line votes. Like Obamacare, gun control, etc. When it comes down to the wire, what will they do? Our Dem senator, Pryor, actually did vote against the last gun control bill, "deciding vote..." to stop it. He is up for reelection this Nov and he knew he had zero chance of winning if he voted for it. He did stand up to his party, or had the appearance of standing up to his party, so I will give him that. I suspect he got a lot of constituent communication over that. I know I did my part. At the beginning, he was very wishy-washy in his talk, but after the heat got cranked up, he caved in to what the people wanted and did the right thing. You could also say he was the "deciding vote" for O care.

Karl I'm guilty of not writing my reps. I did post some remarks on O'Reilly and Kelly Files Facebook pages as did hundreds of others. Both have done an outstanding job of covering it and O'Reilly even going as far as threatening to lead a boycott of Mexican tourism. Mine was one of among the 180,000+ petition signatures that Waters from Fox News passed to the Mexican Consulate's office.

Having a friend that worked at first as an unpaid intern and later as a paid aid in a Senator's office and having some inside knowledge. I do not write very often. Our reps keep track and if an individual writes often they are what Congressional staff label as a pen pal and not taken real seriously. The pen pals are how ever counted when the staff is keeping tabs on the number of pro vs con letters. The person that makes contact occasionally, 2 or 3 times or less per year gathers more attention. The staff usually determines if the person is a registered voter, which party and the big one. Does he/she regularly make campaign donations, have they in the past or show up on lists as having donated money for any political candidate or cause. Like most everything else in life "its all about money". The only constituency letters the rep usually read are those that are from who donate the big bucks or a celebrity. Before pounding the ground with the Post Office and working as a grunt in mail processing. The reps would receive a bag full of mail daily and if there was a hot issue at the time. 2 or 3 bags of letter sized mail daily were not uncommon.

I send some of my guys 5 or 10 bucks every election. Gets my name on their books as being a donor. In return, my letter gets a bit more attention and help if Congressional assistance is needed dealing with a govt agency or bureaucracy. I can say from my time as a fed employee. A Congressional inquiry gets immediate attention. I had to personally respond in writing to complaints via Congress when normally it would have been done by phone.