Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How To Get Major Discount On Auto Parts

AzRednek

Auto Zone has a price match guarantee. Today I replaced the A/C heater blower motor. I found one on Ebay for 32 and change but not wanting to wait a week I checked locally. $79.99 from Auto Zone and O-Reilly, 84.95 at Pep Boys.

I went to Auto Zone along with a printout of the Ebay auction. They refused to honor the price guarantee because Auto Zone's has a lifetime warranty and the Ebay was only a year. Being the cheapskate I am I drove back home and found a motor on Ebay with free shipping and lifetime warranty for 37.50. The Auto Zone clerk looked for reasons to deny it but I highlighted the lifetime warranty and free shipping on the printout before leaving home. He called the manager and as expected she brought up warranty and shipping and then said something about having it in stock and it will take you a week from Ebay. I told her I don't mind waiting, then asked "do you want me to pick it up next week". She said ok but the law requires you to pay the tax. I told her no biggie, she instructed the clerk to pull it, reduced the price and I was out the door for 40.61.

Guess I should feel guilty but what I got was a universal motor made in China. During my short career as a mechanic, it is what we called "jippo parts".No where near the quality of what I removed. The motor pictured on the Ebay auction included the squirrel cage and looked exactly like what I took off. The universal motor is apx 30% smaller, was a king sized PIA lining up the numerous screw holes as the part was made to fit as many applications as possible. The squirrel cage was difficult to remove and re-install on the new motor. The original motor uses a snap ring to retain the cage. The replacement didn't have a groove for the snap ring and is help in place with what I believe is named a jam nut. Hopefully it holds as well as the snap ring. Instead of a two prong plug, the replacement has two excessively long wires with male plugs. After installing everything I had to reverse the polarity of the non color coded wires. The motor was going in reverse sucking instead of blowing. Best I can tell the new motor moves as much air. Being a universal fit part from China. I'm willing to bet Auto Zone did not lose any money and likely made a decent profit.

Something to keep in mind next time you need a high dollar item like a brake rotor, alternator etc. Bring an Ebay printout into Auto Zone, have your P's & Q's in order on shipping and warranty because they will challenge you on it.

Auto Zone has a pretty good PR. I bought a starter with a life time warranty for my 69 Cougar about 10 years ago from a chain parts store (can`t remember the name) that Auto Zone bought out & it stopped working. I took it to my local Auto Zone & they made good on the warranty & I got a new one from them. No questions asked.

I could see it would have to be a BIN for them to match it.

Last year, I had a wheel cylinder go out in the Truck. Well, the shoes were LT warranty from AZ. That I bought 20 years ago. Dug the receipt out, brought it all down to AZ and got me some new shoes.