Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Building A Magnum Turk?

Kyle

Has anyone ever tried building a Turkish Mauser M38 (K.Kale) into a magnum cartridge?

I have a Remington 700 barrel in 7mm Magnum that I'd like to re-thread to fit a Turk Mauser but I'd like to make sure it would be safe.

I know the M38 should be just as strong as other 98 actions but I'd like to be sure the different threads wouldn't pose a problem.

Has anyone ever tried building a Turkish Mauser M38 (K.Kale) into a magnum cartridge?

I have a Remington 700 barrel in 7mm Magnum that I'd like to re-thread to fit a Turk Mauser but I'd like to make sure it would be safe.

I know the M38 should be just as strong as other 98 actions but I'd like to be sure the different threads wouldn't pose a problem.

The barrel shank is smaller and seeing that it is a coarse thread, it doesn't leave a very thick chamber wall and could be prone to bulging with a high pressure load. Especially if you thread with a relief groove instead of removing the first thread in the receiver. Some people have done it and still will, but most gunsmiths will refuse to out of liability. Does that tell you something? Large ring mauser actions can be found for not much more than turks and you can get prethreaded barrels for $70 from browells and other sources. I wouldn't risk it to save $20 or $30 bucks.

-Don