Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Re-threading A Large Ring Mauser Barrel

brian923

i was looking at purchasing a new barrel for my turk mauser, but there is not really a large veriety of choices. theres not even an 8mm choice in aftermarket barrels, which brings me to my question. could i purchase an 8mm barrel for a large ring mauser, and re-thread the reciever threads on the barrel to small ring dimensions?? thanks, brian.

There are numerous 8mm choices available. Why start with a pre-threaded barrel? It will cost as much to have it rethreaded as it would to start with just a contoured blank.

I'm not a particular fan of ER shaw but I know they will thread you a barrel for the SR Turk 98's. They did one for a friend of mine for his Turk 1903 in .308.

i was looking at purchasing a new barrel for my turk mauser, but there is not really a large veriety of choices. theres not even an 8mm choice in aftermarket barrels, which brings me to my question. could i purchase an 8mm barrel for a large ring mauser, and re-thread the reciever threads on the barrel to small ring dimensions?? thanks, brian.

Brian

What is the end result that you are striving for?

A "new" barrel?

Would a used barrel do if it were a good shooter or do you really want "new"?

Are you wanting to stick with 8X57?

Please start with the 'why' of you wanting to change the barrel.

You are mentioning the purchase of an 8MM barrel which implies that yours doesn't shoot well, perhaps?

If you can go into it in greater detail we may be able to help.

The guys here may know a few things to help improve the accuracy of the barrel that you have.

If your barrel is a lost cause and all that you need is a good shooter......

There may be used barrels that guys here would let you have at very reasonable cost.

Try posting a 'wanted' listing under the for sale heading.

I have several barrels from 03's and KKales. If I'd already built the 8-06 that I plan, I'd

sell you one of what was left. I'd bet that more than one guy has a small ring 8mm that he

is willing to part with.

Before E-bay went all 'knee jerk left wing liberal' on us rethreading Reminginton pull offs was

the favorite thing to do with a Turk if you were building a sporter. I got a few for around

$30 more or less including shipping. Too bad that's all gone now.

I'm doing a 7.62X39 project on an 03 Turk now.

Looking forward to hearing where you want to go with this.

Tinker