Howdy!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Littlephil

Littlephil
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

Howdy all, just thought I'd drop in and make my presence known. I've searched some things on Google that brought me here a few times over the past few years and I thought I'd finally join. There's a lot of interesting reading in the forum, and I'm sure I'll have some questions about my project guns or ideas before too long. I think I'll keep this short for now, but if y'all have any questions, feel free to ask!

#2 Dr.Hess

Dr.Hess
  • Admin
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:39 AM

Howdy Phil.  Welcome to the forum.

#3 Littlephil

Littlephil
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:04 PM

Thanks Doc,I appreciate it!

#4 AzRednek

AzRednek
  • Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

Welcome aboard Phil. Got any projects going?? Pictures are always appreciated. We love Mausers, Enfields, Springfields and odd-ball calibers here.

#5 Littlephil

Littlephil
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:20 PM

Thanks AZ, I've got more projects than I know what to do with I think. Haha
I don't have any pics handy at the moment, but I've got 3 mausers in varying stages of completeness. One I got as a sporter already. It's an actual K98 that I'd say was done in the 50s or 60s, the bolt, and bottom metal were chrome plated at some point. But it's a good shooter, just needs a new bolt handle, safety, and lower rings.
I've got a vz that had a rough and broken stock that I put in a boyds walnut stock. It's also got a bold trigger and safety-less shroud. Pretty much still original other than that for now.
Third mauser is a k.kale Turk action that's waiting on a d&t and then have the barrel screwed on and chambered. This one is gonna be a 7x57.
I also have a mosin M44 that's getting the "truck gun" makeover. It's also in a boyds stock but has a few bubba'd touches.
There's my 91/30 that has an oversized chamber, that one's still up in the air, but might either become a 7mm mag or a 450 marlin. It's got a timney trigger with side safety already and what a difference that thing makes!
And very last in line is a type 38 arisaka action that I have. Got it as just a stripped reciever pretty cheap, and then figured out why. I've accumulated a bolt body/extractor, bottom metal, trigger, and even the tang pieces. Got put way back on the stove when I started pricing bolt innards. I've been debating on just selling or trading it off since I'll probably never get back to it, but I don't know anybody that builds rifles around here.
I'm not a real gunsmith by any means, just like tinkering on my own stuff. I figure there's only one way to learn, and most of my guns were acquired fairly cheap, so why not? :)

Well this got lengthy pretty fast, but thanks for the welcome fellas, I'll see about taking a few pics within the next couple days and see if I can figure out how to post em.
Thanks again and have a great night!

#6 manureman

manureman
  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:37 AM

Welcome Phil ! Your project list sounds like mine , I've just got way to many irons in the fire for my own good. My eyes aren't what they were , are those bluegill on your stringer in that picture ? I'm not computer smart enough to blow it up and it not be blurry where I could tell but if they are those are dandys ! Jim

#7 Littlephil

Littlephil
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thanks manureman. Too many irons is correct,but I just can't turn em away! Haha
Those are mostly crappie on the stringer with, I believe, one bluegill. I love fishing just as much as shooting, I don't know why I couldn't find cheap hobbies.

#8 FC

FC

Farting Chicken. Head rooster

• Admin
  • 6,972 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:43 PM

Welcome!

#9 Littlephil

Littlephil
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:10 AM

Thanks!

#10 ken98k

ken98k
  • Members
  • 2,711 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Camping, Boating, Jeeps, and MAUSER rifles

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

Welcome aboard! Glad to see there is still interest in home gunsmithing. I look forward to seeing your projects come to life.

#11 Littlephil

Littlephil
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Ken! I definitely don't produce works of art like some can, but as long as what I do ends up functional I'm pretty happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users