Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hi-Point

FC

Looking up, "Gun range snobs" online I happened onto a guy saying how his Hi-Point is dissed by others, but it's really a good, cheap gun. I didn't know anything about them, so I looked them up. Yup, very good reviews, and a cheap, ugly pistol! I bring this up because the Hi-Point site has a sweepstakes for a free Hi-Point, if you are interested.

I had a HiPoint 45 pistol for a short time. At one outing I put well over 100rds through it mostly rapid fire. It swallowed, digested and fired everything I put through it. I traded it away getting a straight across deal for a Remington 30/06 semi. In another trade I got a HiPoint 9MM carbine I gave my son. The carbine is a very reliable range toy. Regardless of the snobbery they work everytime. The only downside to the HiPoint pistols is weight. The straight blow back design requiring a heavy slide.

Not something to carry then, but good for a drawer.

Also makes a good car gun if it's large size allows it be stored out of sight. Wont be out big bucks if it is stolen.

I've had my car or pickup broken into several times. Fortunately I never lost a gun to a car thief. I've been lucky twice. Lost my car's battery and strangely they also took the ash tray and cigarette lighter. Had a gun under the seat parked in the USPS employee parking lot. In the early 70's thieves missed my Series 70 Colt in 38 Super being satisfied with stealing a carton of Marlboros I left on the seat.

The only thing I ask of a weapon is that it be reliable. Back when money was very tight, I would have gotten one and smiled.I prefer the 1911; but I would take a Hi point? Let them grin!

I'd prefer a 1911 especially one with a trigger job as well. Taking a HiPoint to the range is kind of like driving a 10 year old car to a reunion. HiPoint's accuracy wont win any awards but it is well within minute of bad guy.

Several months ago there was a news story about a black woman in Detroit scaring off home invaders. The news reporter saying she used her assault rifle as the camera panned upon a rusty HiPoint carbine. She didn't hit the bad guys but the two bullets through her front door after she warned "I have a gun" ended the crime. Internet chatter said it was a 45ACP.