Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Range Report

cameleon

Finally got to the range with my Spanish sporter .243. Set up at 50 yds. Didn't bring the right targets. Was using my homemade white with 1in sq blk center. Good for handguns out to 15 yds but not so much at 50. Had 20 rounds of Monarch ammo. Should have realized the hole of a 243 is about as big as a 22. Was using an inexspensive Tasco 3x9-40 scope. Also I'm not much of a long gun shooter and don't bench shoot much. Can't get comfortable behind the rife. Took me awhile to realize I was about 10 in high. Adj the scope and got closer to the center but then the ammo ran out. Had 1 problem: On a couple of rounds the extractor got pulled forward. What I determined is the band around the bolt that the extractor body slides over needed to be spread out more. There is a lot of play in it. Hope it holds. Sorry no target pics. I had to use the men's room and my son covered them with his target when he went over to the pistol side. Other then the extractor problem the rifle seems ok. Probably wasted on me. But I'm having fun. Maybe a better report next time.

Hey, went boom and made round holes. That's a win in my book. My 7mm would go boom and make holes, but the holes were sideways when I got it.

Years ago, I finally gave up on cheap spotting scopes. I bought a Champions Choice spotting scope. It was not cheap. But, 1/4" holes at 200 yards in the black are visible with it. The next better scope, according to the guys at Champions Choice, would be about 4x the price.

I think I would have been closer to center at 100yds. I think the inst that came with the Tasco said it was centered at 100yds. As I said have not done much rifle/scope shooting. Actually somewhat better with irons and Kentucky windage.

I have a laser gizmo my dad bought me from Sportsmans Guide. It has a bunch of collets, you pick one the size of your barrel, stick it in the end and turn the laser on, then put the scope center on the dot you project on something. That will get you on paper. Before that, with something like a Mauser, I would just mount it in a padded vice, pull the bolt, look through the barrel at something distant then look through the scope and center it at whatever I could see in the barrel. That would get me on the paper.

10" high at 50 would probably be 7-8" high at 100. 30-06/308, the rule is 3-3-4-5-6, if I recall. 3MOA up for 100, another 3 for 200, 4 more for 300, 5 more for 400, six more for 500. Can't see that a 243 would be a whole lot different out to 2-300.

By the way I think the problem with the extractor jumping forward out of it's slot was more do to the tension of the extractor not the band. I bent the body of the extractor to give more tension. Seems tighter now. We'll see.