Military Firearm Restoration Corner

22-250 On Mauser Action

mikeh3

yes, there MAY be problems with the round not wanting to feed 100% correctly. can you load some dummy rounds and give it a try? then you'll know...

I took a barreling class with the NRA schools and made a .243 win. using a 98 mauser action. It did not feed worth a tinkers damn. So the teacher showed me how to make a spacer and it worked well for me.

This is a photo I have showing a spacer like the one I made, the rifle is chambered for 7.62X39 but you get the idea........

Good luck with your rifle............burgie.

Oh by the way the guys gave me a bunch of crap about wasting a good 98 mauser on a short 243 win. but I ignored them and the rifle shoots and works just fine......

spacer.jpg

I built mine using a bench rest single shot follower from Sporter Express. I do not like running my ammo thru the magazine anyways. You only need one shot with an accurate 22-250. I use the 52 gr. A-Max in my 1in14 twist Remington barrel, and it is THE combo in this Mauser.

Spiris

Can it be done? Yes. Is it easy? Maybe. Depends on how the stars line up, how you hold your bottom lip when doing the work, and what incantation you utter.

A single shot is always the fall back if you simply cannot get it to feed and do not want to resort to a gunsmith.

There are two approaches to blocking the magazine. First is at the rear as was shown. Interarms did this.

Second is to block at the front. The Chileans did this. They made a new feed ramp of sorts because I figure it was easier than dealing with the feedrails.

In a .308 length round blocking of the magazine is nice but not necessary. Really, all it does is keeps the rounds from sliding back and forth. My vz24 in .308 has no block and feeds perfectly. If you do install a block, do so before addressing feed issues.

• 1 month later...