Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Square Bridge Scope Mounts

donmarkey

Anyone ever work with them? After rough milling the ears off of a p14 enfield and squaring it up, I layed a straightedge arcoss it and noticed the rear was still about a 1/8" higher than the front ring. That got me thinking of custom options, I was originally planning to just recontour the rear bridge to the same height and radias as the front ring. Any Ideas?

-Don

The front ring diameter on the P14/M17 is about identical to the savage 110. The Savage 110 bridge is flat and sits lower than the front ring.

Rather than re-contouring the bridge, I'd mill it flat to match the Savage bridge, or at least a section of it .750" wide. You can then use Savage one piece and two piece bases. With a flat rear bridge, there should be no mis-alignment. You can actually measure the difference between base heights to determine how far to lower a milling bit referencing the front ring.

The front ring diameter on the P14/M17 is about identical to the savage 110. The Savage 110 bridge is flat and sits lower than the front ring.

Rather than re-contouring the bridge, I'd mill it flat to match the Savage bridge, or at least a section of it .750" wide. You can then use Savage one piece and two piece bases. With a flat rear bridge, there should be no mis-alignment. You can actually measure the difference between base heights to determine how far to lower a milling bit referencing the front ring.

Good thought, I'll pic up a set of bases and see what it looks like.

-Don

Square bridge scope mounts ae fairly easy to make and give the action a truly custom look that few others will have.

Here I have a pic of a P17 done up nicely by Tom Burgess.

IPB Image

I don't know whose work these two pics are of:

post-11-1143383318_thumb.jpg

post-11-1143383358_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Yes he does. That integrated scope release is neat.

Making square bridge bases isn't that hard but making them look this good is!

• 1 month later...

Not exactly a square bridge and has alot of polishing to be done, but I was trying to dress up the savage mounts gun nutty recomended. Now I wish I would have started with a nicer looking base. But I'm cheap and that burris was only 5 bucks.

-Don

IPB Image

IPB Image

Does anybody know safety/shroud on that Tom Burgess P17 can be found.Never saw one on a P17 before.Also is there a pic of the other side.Looks like the perch has beem eliminated and the bolt stop considerably midified.

Ed LaPour sells the 3 position safeties, and to eliminate the perch all you have to do is weld a piece to the receiver to hold the end of the spring or bent the spring back to contact the receiver.

-Don

Guest Guest

Thanks for the info. I had read that you could eliminate the perch that way and it makes sense when you look at the action but I had never actually seen it. Sometimes a pic can be worth a thousand words.

Damn (bubba scratches his head wondering if it's real, while inside knowing it is, and for the first time realizing the true height of the moutain he must climb).