Military Firearm Restoration Corner

No 4 Scope Mount Idea

Tentman

Hello Guys

I've been looking at options for a really low mount that will enable me to use weaver style rings on a No 4. I know of several commercial bases but they are all higher than I like. I don't really want to drill and tap the action for a side mount if I can avoid it (buggered if I know why not - maybe I've let the don't mess with an original rifle crowd get to me, but its more likely that I don't like lots of holes if one wants to remove the scope mount and refit the peep sight).

So here is a thought - probably a brain fart but if you'd like to offer feedback I'm listening.

For the front (which is already tapped) I'll adapt a weaver steel base, the #46 is the right radius, and the slot is in the right place, I just have to cut it to the right lenght and drill it.

At the rear I'm thinking to make up a partial side mount from angle iron (steel actually). It will use the ejector screw on the left side, and I'll tap the rear sight plunger hole on the right side at the rear so a large screw can fasten the mount down onto the action (vertically at a right angle to the bore, it'll need a little spacer to get the height right). This hole is currently 3/16ths so it will be a 7/32nds machine screw - very beefy. I'll adjust a steel extension base to screw on top of the angle. If I want to put the rear sight back on it will go, the plunger may have a little more play in its hole, but its not critical

Dead easy to do and nothing fancy to have to buy - what think you all ??

Cheers - Foster

• 2 months later...
Is there a Weaver side mount that will work on a #4? They dont list any in their chart, but with the selection of detach side mounts they have, I would think there is one that will adapt to a flat sided #4.

No, Weaver does not make a sidemount for either the no.1 or the 4 or 5.

But Williams makes a neat one the SM-70 for the No 1 Mk3 and the

SM-71 for the flatsiders. They are available fro Brownell's and retails

for under $50 with the rings, I think. I haven't installed one yet,

but by the looks, it should be pretty straight forward. But again,

you have to drill & tap, which should be easy.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a mount that I made to fit my desires, it was already bubba"d when I started.

mrpost-197-1222536019_thumb.jpg

Hi MR1

A terriffic looking mount you have made. It's the lowest I've seen.

You barely clear the scope. It tempts me, to make one like it.

Do you have a millingmachine, or all made by hand?

I got the idea from 303british.com, but when I setup the angle and weaver base, it was just as high as my no drill S&K mount.

I started with a Bubba'd rifle, it looks like someone tried to drill for the weaver base and stopped after they messed up the rear hole attempt, the receiver ring was not touched. I removed the clip charging guide leaving part of it to act as a support against recoil. I mounted the angle, then setup in Forster jig and drilled the holes for the dovetails, the used a modified 5/8 drill to cut the dovetail holes. I used drill press and a milling attachment on my lathe to do the machine work.

mr

I got the idea from 303british.com, but when I setup the angle and weaver base, it was just as high as my no drill S&K mount.

I started with a Bubba'd rifle, it looks like someone tried to drill for the weaver base and stopped after they messed up the rear hole attempt, the receiver ring was not touched. I removed the clip charging guide leaving part of it to act as a support against recoil. I mounted the angle, then setup in Forster jig and drilled the holes for the dovetails, the used a modified 5/8 drill to cut the dovetail holes. I used drill press and a milling attachment on my lathe to do the machine work.

mr

Thanks. Let me guess....Machinery Rapairman, 1st Class