Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Carl Gustads

GA1dad

What is a Carl Gustads Sporter. I've seen two on another site in 6.5x55 for $300. Are they worth it. Is that a original caliber? What calibers could it be changed to?

well, to tell the truth, I have no idea, i've heard of them but never read about or seen one. Dave

hey guy, i was just on yahoo an' they said it's carl gustav sporters. i'm going back to do research. bye fer now.

hi ga1dad-go to yahoo.com and type in (carl gustaf sporters). It will come up with the rifles he's done etc. Dave

I don't pretend to be a Swedish Mauser expert but so far as I know the only "commercial" sporters were made by Husqvarna. There were some local firms Vapen Falun for example, that made their own to market. As far as I know, the Carl Gustafs were military rifles. So, what you are seeing, without benefit of pictures mind you, is most likely a sporterized Swede. Kimber sporterized some 96's.

All the Swedes were originally 6.5x55. Anything that operates at the same pressures would be acceptible for rebarrelling to.

I have a couple Gustav's one full military and the other a sporter with a poor polishing job and a cut down military stock. The bore on the sporter is very good and it shoots like a champ. From what I'v read the Gustav model 96's are supposed to be of better quality steel than the 96's contractad for in Germany. They are concidered the strongest of all the small ring mausers. If its a nicely done sporter job it should be worth it. On the subject of the 6.5x55 if the bore is good it is a most awsome cartrage in its own right. Just my .02 cents.

Vlad,

I prefer plaid, lol.

Yes, you are right, Carl Gustaf. You would know, they did not make any "sporters" did they? I was under the impression that all the actions were either Military or target rifles.

Guys, do you like your name to be mispronounced? Lets get it right. It is Gustaf.

Vlad, or is that Vlid or maybe Vled

You're right, my bad. I was only quoting what it was called on another site. That would explain why my search found nothing.

I was looking at a load manual last night and it says that the case diameter is .48". And it was the only case that I could find that size. All the similar sized cartridges were like .47 or smaller. How small would you say is functional without altering the bolt?

Thanks again Vladymere

Alright, I got the info I was looking for.

I had a Kimber/Mauser in 308. It was very nicely done, but it was cock on close and I couldn't stand it. So I guess all swede 96's will be that way, huh? Haven't I seen a replacement kit that makes a mauser bolt cock on open? Any of you installed one? Like it or not?

Cock on Open kits are out there. Probably the best, and also most expensive, is the Ed Lapour set. It includes a new three position safety/shroud as well as the conversion pieces.

Me, I like the cock on close because it costs less and requires no added work. I'd rather put more money into a good barrel and live with the COC action. My 2 cents.