Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Steyr Action Value?

littlecanoe

I have a Steyr 1912? Columbian. I've been told that FN made these actions? It was rechambered to 30-06 in the 50's. I'm thinking of selling it but am not sure what an action like this is going for these days. Any ideas? I know that it would make a great sporter and keep going back and forth on whether to sell or keep the thing.

Steyr is the manufacturer of the Chilean 1912. It will have their name along the side rail. If it's clean I'd keep it. Good clean actions are hard to find these days.

Everytime I get the urge to purge I realize that the $100 to $150 I pocket today will buy me almost nothing and down the road I can expect to pay a bunch more for a lesser quality action. My take anyway.

However, I'm puzzled because the 1912's were converted to 7.62 NATO not .30-06. Typically Brazillian, Columbian or Peruvian short rifles were converted to '06. Most of which were made by FN.

Steyr is the manufacturer of the Chilean 1912. It will have their name along the side rail. If it's clean I'd keep it. Good clean actions are hard to find these days.

Everytime I get the urge to purge I realize that the $100 to $150 I pocket today will buy me almost nothing and down the road I can expect to pay a bunch more for a lesser quality action. My take anyway.

However, I'm puzzled because the 1912's were converted to 7.62 NATO not .30-06. Typically Brazillian, Columbian or Peruvian short rifles were converted to '06. Most of which were made by FN.

I believe that you're right on it being Chilean. The writing was faint when I bought it and more so with cleaning. I can still read Model and then on the line beneath Steyr Austria. It is marked .30 on the rear bridge and the Right side of the ring is marked F. Ramage 1952. It does chamber 30-06 nicely.

I'll probably just keep it but was curious as to price. It's nice to know that the action is a good one and this one is in good shape. It would slick up real nice.

Thanks z.

R Famage makes it a Columbian Mauser made by FN. The were converted in 1952 to .30-06 by reboring the barrel, rechambering to .30-06, lengthening the magazine, massaging the feed ramp, and notching the rear of the receiver. Most of these conversions had teh FN markings ground off.

The Styer made Chilean 1912's were converted to 7.62 Nato and are marked with a -61 suffix added to the original Model 1912 markings.

R Famage makes it a Columbian Mauser made by FN.

Mike

Maybe yes, maybe no.

I happened into a fellow at a gun show that had a table full of Columbians.

I bought about a dozen.

I previously had gotten a 52 R.Famage and there was one in the group of Columbians I bought.

In the group were mostly F.N.'s and 2 Bruno's .

While the R.Famage's were 'scrubbed' of their mfg. the crests were mostly left in tact.

The F.N's and the Bruno's had different crest styles but both said Columbia.

The crest style on my R.Famage matches the Bruno style rather than the F.N. style.

Tinker