Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Same Old Story In Many Ways

rdm1962

post-3785-1246190448_thumb.jpgJust another newbe with an old Mauser. I picked up this 1945 K. Kales Turk awhile back. Paid to much and barrel shot out at that. The reciever looked good no pitts or rust. I kind of wanted to build a custom anyway so now I had a reason to get started. I want to do as much of the work as I can. I ordered the basic tools from Brownells and Midway. The strip down wasn't a big deal except for the barrel. The Weller Barrel vise wouldn't grip, I don't have any rosin. I will get some for later builds. The old barrle was junk so an extra pipe wrench aginst the work bench did the trick.

I started out by removeing the charging hump. Didn't take as long as I thought it would, only about 1 1/2 hours. There is still a few small divets that I may take out, they may be covered by scope mounts. I will have to see how the rest of the build goes. My plans are to make a 35 Whelen if I can find a small ring barrel. I didn't realy understand that Turks are large rings with small theads until now. I will take the sleve off the front of the reciever next. I have ordered the bolt lapping tool and will polish the reciever ways after that. I am in no hurry to get it done. I would rather buid for quality not quanity. I will post more pics. as time goes on.

I also ordered a m48 from Sarco about 2 weeks agoe. I still want a shooter to play with.

Ralph

post-3785-1246190416_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1246190494_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1246190542_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1246190610_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1246190801_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of suggestions in regards to the barrel. Since your receiver has small ring threads, if you can find a Remington 700 barrel, it can be rethreaded to small ring threads. You can get a barrel from Midway, and rethread it. Or,see if you can order a barrel, short chambered and prethreaded from ER Shaw.

If it were mine, I would either start with a contoured blank and thread it to fit, or I would start with a large-ring, short chambered barrel, and rethread that one. You have a good action, so I would suggest using a new barrel. I am not a big fan of Remington take-offs. Most won't compete with even new economy barrels.

Clemson

Converting a Turk Mauser is a lot of work, but can be rewarding when you complete it. As others have mentioned, a large ring Mauser barrel can be rethreaded to fit. You'll also need to rework your bolt handle if you scope it as well as D&T for scope mounts.

Take your time and learn as you go. You have help here should you need it.

Spiris

Just a quick update. I took the "sleve" off the front of the reciever. I was going to start lapping the bolt buuuuuttttt. The small ring tool threads will not screw in. Is this part of the issues with Turks? I think I will cut the threads and a short section off the old barrel and make my own. I am working on the finish sanding now. How smoth should I get the finish? I want to get the tool marks out but still keep it a mat finish.

post-3785-1246658150_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1246658183_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1246658211_thumb.jpg

post-3785-1246658242_thumb.jpg

I would first determine that you really need to lap the bolt lugs. The lug area is case hardened .003 to .010 thick. If you wear through it while lapping you can very quickly develope lug setback. (Unless you get the receiver and bolt re-hardened afterlapping.)

If you want a matte finish, get the receiver external surfaces glass bead blasted after removing the tool marks.