Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Making A Bolt Heat Sink

rdfrench31

I've used aluminum for many years now. My heat sink was also one of my first projects.

You can grind your own bit or just use a 60 degree threading bit turned so the leading edge is perpendicular to the heat sink.

I've used aluminum for many years now. My heat sink was also one of my first projects.

You can grind your own bit or just use a 60 degree threading bit turned so the leading edge is perpendicular to the heat sink.

I never thought about turning the bit...thanks Z

What's the TPI?

Aluminum conducts heat 5 times better

Aluminum has twice the specific heat

Steel has three times the density.

That makes Aluminum over 3 times better than steel of equal volume.

Copper, bronze, or brass is even better than Aluminum and that's what we made the buttressing threads from 8 years ago when my brother and I started this sporterizing.

The threads should fit tight and have welding paste all over the place.

And how to make buttressing theads?

Just screw up the "V" threads, and you are there:)

Hmm, why on earth would you put heat control paste on the threads? You ever try to get that junk out of a bolt?

Maybe he meant thermally conductive paste, like you use in between a processor and heatsink in a PC. it fills whatever gaps there are and helps transfer heat.

Jer

Maybe he meant thermally conductive paste, like you use in between a processor and heatsink in a PC. it fills whatever gaps there are and helps transfer heat.

Jer

Yer s'posed to put that stuff on yer heatsink?? Maybe that's why when I overclocked my new 2160 it went tits up?

How you doing? Been a while. Good to see you posting here again.

Yer s'posed to put that stuff on yer heatsink?? Maybe that's why when I overclocked my new 2160 it went tits up?

How you doing? Been a while. Good to see you posting here again.

Most factory heatsinks have either a thermal pad, or a pre-applied patch of thermal grease. But, neither one of those is as efficient as a aftermarket paste called Arctic Silver that is made with atomized silver. Generally for overclocking you want to use either a larger aftermarket heatsink or the same heatsink but with a fan that moves more air.

As to how I'm doing, I'm doing ok. Finally got around to bedding my 6.5x55. Haven't shot in months since money has been tight, but other than that everything is OK here.

Jer

• 1 month later...

Cleaning welding paste out of a bolt body with a tooth brush and hot water is followed with twisted paper towels, compressed air, and an oily toothbrush.

I have done this dozens of times, and sometimes I make the toothbrush head narrower.