Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Spanish Mauser

wfpack14

I found a mauser for sale it is a Fabrica De Armas La Coruna 1947 in an 8mm. Matching numbers on barrel and reciver. From what I can tell this is a Spanish made 98 mauser. Question, is it worth buying and can I can convert it to a 6 x55? Thanks, I can get it for under 200 bucks

Well I did some looking and I found a spanish mauser. Question is, is it worth even buying? Its in a 7x57 matching barrel and reciver, missing the bottom metal. I is in a different stock. My idea is to make it into a 6x55, but I have been seeing some guys saying spanish mausers suck. Thoughts, opinions

I it worth buying? Depends on the price. Is the bolt included? I wouldn't give more than $50

I don't have any personal experience with spanish 98's but have read many times here that they are soft metal and develope setback problems quickly.

You would be way better off sticking with other mauser 98's for safety. Look for gew98, kar98k, 98-22, vz-24, yugo 48, yugo 48A, yugo 24/47, or even a turk 38

Look for them in gun shops, pawn shops, news paper want ads, shotgun news, gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com and a host of other on line sites.

Kenny

You can get many other good mausers for under $200 too. I'd wait for one of them. Now, if it were $50, maybe then it would be worth the effort.

I found a mauser for sale it is a Fabrica De Armas La Coruna 1947 in an 8mm. Matching numbers on barrel and reciver. From what I can tell this is a Spanish made 98 mauser. Question, is it worth buying and can I can convert it to a 6 x55? Thanks, I can get it for under 200 bucks

I'd hold out and better deal than a spanish for $200 is bound to come around. Out of the last few mausers I bought only one I paid over $200 for. For under $200 I got a few 1909's and vz-24's. Keep your eye out and don't forget to figure the tranfer fee in when bidding on online auctions.

-Don

Well, I went back and bought it, I got it for 100 bucks at gander mountian so no transfer fee. It is in really good shape from what I can tell. It has not been sporterized at all, no scope mounts bolt handle still original, no pitting. I will post pictures later. What is exactly bad about a spanish mauser, I read some other places that they are pretty good. Thanks for the info though.

Well, I went back and bought it, I got it for 100 bucks at gander mountian so no transfer fee. It is in really good shape from what I can tell. It has not been sporterized at all, no scope mounts bolt handle still original, no pitting. I will post pictures later. What is exactly bad about a spanish mauser, I read some other places that they are pretty good. Thanks for the info though.

In a word, or three, lack of quality control.

Still a complete unaltered match number M43 should net you an easy hundred bucks on gubroker. Then you can buy a nice action. For a shooter as-is it should sufice. I would not use one to build a nice sporter off of.

The market is usually a good reflecter of an items value, worth, or desireability. With that in mind, sported or even custom rifles built on the spanish actions usually sell for no more than 2 to 3 hundred while similar rifles built on k98 or vz24 actions usually start at around $350.

I rebarreled one of those LaCoruna's last week. The guy wanted a 7x57 barrel on it. In looking at the action, it actually looked quite good. I could see no problems with it at all. I think some of the knock on Spanish guns came from the Oviedo pre-98's. The post WWII guns seem to me to be rather well-made.

I agree that the 6.5x55 will make a dandy match for your rifle.

Clemson

You should look around at the various firearm board for sale sections and the auction sites. M43's are going for more than what you paid. I saw one sell on gunboards for something like $300-350 recently!! You might consider flipping that ol' war horse and recoup some good funds for more than one project..... ;)

metzgeri

What is exactly bad about a spanish mauser, I read some other places that they are pretty good.

I tried sportorizing two, one was late 40's the other early 50's. My first project ever was scrapped after apx 100 rounds from what the gunsmith said was receiver set-back. The smith said the metal was way to soft and he was surprised I got as many shots (308 Winnie) through it as I did. The second one after finally getting the barrel out with the weight of three guys and a cheater bar took a good portion of the receiver threads out with the barrel.

On the other hand I have another in original military configuration, 1948 I think without looking, that I've likely put apx 500 rounds through. It will print a 4-6 inch group bench rested at a hundred yards shooting 1960's Spanish or Turk ammo. Taking my poor eyesight into consideration it shoots almost as good as any Turk or 98/22 8MM I've shot but no where near as good as my K98.

I strongly encourage you to look into heat treating the receiver before sinking allot of money and time into it.

good looking gun. I'd keep her low pressure if your gonna convert her. 6.5x55 is a good round. Get ya a m48 or 24/47 and do your custom off of. (7mm-08,308,260) ;)

Brenden

• 2 weeks later...
post-3652-1202583039_thumb.jpgGentlemen, have you considered re-heat treating a soft action? I for one dont mind a soft one as after I have it re-heat treated (carburized) its as good as new. Good and tough just like the originals were intended. A Rockwell 35 .010-.015 thick case exterior with a softer core makes a good strong action indeed. There is a company here in Salt Lake City, Utah "Industrial Heat Treat", that does the job for 75.00$ Ive made some outsatanding rifles from soft Turkish Mausers. Send 'em the receiver and bolt all stripped with what ever machine work already done to it ( trued, lapped, drilled etc.) and they turn out just dandy. Paul Mauser knew what he was doing with Case hardening the soft steels available at the time. Just follow his most excellent example. But make sure who ever does your heat treating knows what they are doing. It can be ruined just as well as it can be re-newed. (warpage)post-3652-1202582876_thumb.jpg

post-3652-1202583039_thumb.jpgGentlemen, have you considered re-heat treating a soft action? I for one dont mind a soft one as after I have it re-heat treated (carburized) its as good as new. Good and tough just like the originals were intended. A Rockwell 35 .010-.015 thick case exterior with a softer core makes a good strong action indeed. There is a company here in Salt Lake City, Utah "Industrial Heat Treat", that does the job for 75.00$ Ive made some outsatanding rifles from soft Turkish Mausers. Send 'em the receiver and bolt all stripped with what ever machine work already done to it ( trued, lapped, drilled etc.) and they turn out just dandy. Paul Mauser knew what he was doing with Case hardening the soft steels available at the time. Just follow his most excellent example. But make sure who ever does your heat treating knows what they are doing. It can be ruined just as well as it can be re-newed. (warpage)post-3652-1202582876_thumb.jpg

Welcome.

Surprisingly, the "soft" Turks are held to much better tolerances than the Spanish made actions. Hardness is not the reason to despise Spanish actions, lack of quality is.

As a matter of course I have all my Mauser actions carburised before proceeding with a build.

Welcome.

Surprisingly, the "soft" Turks are held to much better tolerances than the Spanish made actions. Hardness is not the reason to despise Spanish actions, lack of quality is.

As a matter of course I have all my Mauser actions carburised before proceeding with a build.

Thank you, z1r, You taught me something new today. Im not that familiar with the Spanish receivers. I haven't come across one yet.

I paid $199 for one off GB, it's in great shape and all numbers match. came with a bayo that I will sell on eBay to get some money back.

I was going to sporterize it, but I like it the way it is.

they are the only mauser "deals" out there right now IMHO.

If you are a collector, then I suppose an all matching Spanish M43 might be availablefor what people might call a deal.

As to sporterizing one, not me brother. I would not buy one for that purpose. If someone already owned one, I can see they're wanting to move forward. me, I'd sell it and replace the action with one of better pedigree.

As to being a deal, well, I found an all matching Chilean 1912 for $150. The stock had been sported but the action, of much better quality tha a spanish 98, was well worth that price. I picked up an Amberg 1898 that had been sported and added to a nice fajen stock which still looked new. I paid $135.

Anybody thinking that $200 is a good price for a matching original M43 is welcome to mine.

Please don't misinterpret my reply as an attack. But, having worked on more of these than the avarage gun nut I feel compelled to point out that my experiences run contrary to the notion that an M43 is good platform for building a sporter on.

Thank you, z1r, You taught me something new today. Im not that familiar with the Spanish receivers. I haven't come across one yet.

Nice handi work. Did you do it yourself?

mike, is your 1912 Chilean a long barreled gun? i have a 1912 chilean stock that came off my matching number gun i chopped up (stupid!) . have a matching trigger and something else for it... if you want it, let me know.

heath

mike, is your 1912 Chilean a long barreled gun? i have a 1912 chilean stock that came off my matching number gun i chopped up (stupid!) . have a matching trigger and something else for it... if you want it, let me know.

heath

Heath,

Indeed it is the long rifle. Before I acquired my Type "S" in 7x57 I wanted a 7x57 shooter. One day while dropping off repairs at the local shop I do work for I stopped in at the shop around the corner when a woman brings in her recently deceased husband's colection of mausers. I spot this one thinking there is the perfect candidate. Yet, somehow, the metal was too nice to mess with so it sat in my vault. You should have seen the Argentines she brought in. Anyway, I hadn;t thought about it until you brought up the stock. Seems like the natural thing to do.

Here are two pics I just snapped. Sorry about the quality but it is night time.

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00481.jpg

That in the white finish is really something.

Yes sir, I would indeed be interested in your stock.

By the way, that Persian barrel arrived and the bore is superb as you said. Many thanks! I'll get your $$ out Monday!

Heath,

This is what your Persian barrel will become.

Plezier20mauser20replica.jpg

Either this or a replica of the African Special model chambered in 8x68S. The African Model has a 3/4 length stock.

that'll be a nice rifle, for sure mike! the bluing on that gun is the best on any military mauser i've seen. and i'm probably going to rub it off and start over! :lol:

the stock is not 100%, but it's correct. i'll get a couple pics of it. perhaps we can forego hijacking this thread any longer... :ph34r: i'll email you. and you're right, there is certainly something special about the white receiver! beautiful!

heath

Nice handi work. Did you do it yourself?

Thanks, yes, I did all the work myself other than the heat treating. Interesting note the guy I built this .280 Rem for decided he now wants an exhibition grade stock installed on it, and wants this stock installed on a different rifle he wants me to build for him. Its a little bit of a problem though as it been pillar/glass bedded! Oh well, its his money right?