Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fn Style Bolt Shrode, Not Fitting?

brian923

hey guys, heres the prob. i got this fn style bolt shroud a whiloe ago to build on my turk. but.... i just got a vz24 action, and figured that i would like to have it on that action instead because the turk is not all together anymore. (next project) i will be installing this with a bold trigger with safty. heres a pic of whats happening.

mauserbuild005.jpg

this is as far as the bolt will close. the shroud is screwed all the way on in its farthest forward position. it seem to look identical to the origonal shroud. i dont know whats wrong. anyone know what i can do? im guessing that it may need some fitting, i just dont know where to start. thanks guys, brian.

i do have accsess to a mill. i would rather make this one fit since i already have it, and am on a very tight budget!

according to the pic, the upper right top of the shroud is contacting the reciver when the bolt hits about 50 percent of its lowering travel. the only things i can see to do is... file or mill the sholder off the top of the shroud, or remove material from the reciver until it will close. is this right?? i would rather remove material from the shroud. which is the right thing to do... if either of these is the right thing??? thanks for the help, brian.

looks to me like you're RIGHT THERE as far as the bolt closing. remove VERY LITTLE material from the shroud and try it over and over...

heath