Military Firearm Restoration Corner

6.5x57 Barrel Length...?

slednerd

There's a barrel on one of the auction sites...6.5x57, but it's only 20" long...now I was gonna go short on this one (yugo m24/45), somewhere 21" range anyway, but am I wasting the potential of this cartridge, and will I get a weird ballance on the finished rifle?

Thanks,

John

Balance has nothing to do with how short the barrel is rather how it is contoured.

IMHO, yes, 20" is a waste. My as well just get a 6.5x55 and save yourself all the expense of the dies, brass, etc, if you are going to be going that short. Then again, if you want it, have at it. You'll probably duplicate std 6.5x55 velocities with teh shorter barrel. That's not really so bad.

i've seen those barrels too. he has some calibers that i would like to build on & the prices are good. but all of them are 3 or 4" shorter than i want

Yeah...tempting...so close, but not quite. Any hints on what length to go on the 6.5x57? I'm still thinking scout style on this one, just to see if I like it.

John

Yeah...tempting...so close, but not quite. Any hints on what length to go on the 6.5x57? I'm still thinking scout style on this one, just to see if I like it.

John

Well, if you're going the scout route, then doesn't that almost require a 20" or less bbl?

Were it me, I'd go 24". But I like longer barrels, the rifle usually settles very nicely for offhand shots. Still, that balance can be gotten by proper placement of weight.

But, in a scout rifle, I think 20" would be good. Think of it this way, you'll duplicate 6.5x55 performance even with the shorter bbl.

What worries me about that guy's 6.5x57 bll. is that he indicates go-gage protrusion and it implies that the barrel is long chambered. But, I wonder if he is using a 7x57 gage to check with? The 6.5x57 has it's shoulder further forward. If indeed the barrel is short chambered, then great. Otherwise, you'll need to factor in the expense of finding a 6.5x57 reamer. That would be a deal breaker for me. Especially since you can buy a much superior Lothar Walther barrel for not much more.

A buddy of mine bought a 9.3x62 barrel from him and was very happy with it.

I've got a friend down in the Springs that has one of the 9.3x62 barrels and he is quite happy with it.