Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8mm Mauser Barrels

edspad

I've got a german barrel laying around thats in good shape. I keep pondering the idea of seting it up on a good action. but then again, i've got a fine specimen of an M48 that i dearly love, but i just can't bring myself to drill and tap it. Decesions. Same with my 1891 argie, i just can't cut on it. Plus my dad would kill me, he bought it when he was 16, and hes now 62. Its had 3 boxes of shells through it, and its mint. he gave it to me a few years ago when i became intrested in mausers, so i can't chop on it. Should have bought one a few years ago when prices were still relatively cheap. Now the 1891s are going high IMO.

Brenden

I always wonder what the 8mm, with heavy bullets and a modern slow burning powder would do in a 29" barrel. Most heavy bullets are made for the 8mmRem Mag, and the 8mm Mauser pushes them a bit too slow. I have always wondered what the 8x57 and the 8x68 would do with a long barrel.

I always wonder what the 8mm, with heavy bullets and a modern slow burning powder would do in a 29" barrel. Most heavy bullets are made for the 8mmRem Mag, and the 8mm Mauser pushes them a bit too slow. I have always wondered what the 8x57 and the 8x68 would do with a long barrel.

Noslers new #6 reloading data says that out of a 24'' Lilja barrel with the max load of IMR 4350 (slowest powder they list) and a 200 grain bullet, top velocity is 2698fps at 107% case fill. Take that add 30 fps per inch (they say 30-50 fps gain in each inch, maybe more maybe less?) and whamo. I don't think you could get top velocity with slow burning powders and large bullets, not enough space. with numbers like IMR 4895 or 4064, you can reach a top velocity of 2638 with the same bullet at a slightly less 97% case fill. Possibly higher pressure though. To no surprise they list the 8mm-06 at 55.5 grains IMR 4350 MAX at a velocity of 2668? I can never understand this, more case capacity, less or maybe 50 fps faster.

Brenden

I take no responsiblity in one starting at these listed loads and having their rifle spit a bolt back at them, thats why they are in BLACK BOLD THEY ARE MAX!