Military Firearm Restoration Corner

32 H&r Magnum In Nagant Revolver

bert01

The 32 H&R mag fits loosely but still shoots. The brass is usually destroyed and not reloadable. Been a lot of years, before the 32 mag was available I used to shoot 32 S&W and the 32 S&W Long in my Nagant revolver. The 32 shorts were remarkably more accurate. The 32 S&W shorts back in the late 70's and early 80's were dirt cheap at gun shows but I rarely see them anymore. The Nagant revolver is a fun gun, notoriously inaccurate and the double action trigger pull will quickly wear out your finger. I considered buying dies from RCBS to convert 32/20 brass to a shootable round but the cost from the RCBS custom shop in the late 70's or early 80's was apx 100 bux. I don't recall the exact price of another custom die set that was available to convert 32/20 to the Nagant round that the slug is buried in the neck like the original and puts the slight taper on the top of the brass on top of the bullet but it was way beyond my budget at the time.

My Nagant revolver came from a former in-law as part of a paperless horse trade. He got it from his father that took it from a German officer that made his way west and surrendered close to the end of the war. The German had the revolver and several other souvenirs from the eastern front. I'll try and get a picture up in an hour or so. There was a time when Nagant revolvers fetched a good price when the only way they came to the USA as booty from WW2 and the Viet Nam War. Prior to the Nam war the Russian version were rare in the USA. I believe there was a Scandinavian version also.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, couldn't seem to get it right with a flash and white background.

rusky-1.jpg

Picture wont show it, the blueing is about 30% and some minor pitting. The bore also has some pitting.

rusky-2.jpg

rusky-a.jpg

The holster is East German. It appears to be a copy of a genuine Russian but is made with vinyl and not real leather. the hold down straps and ammo pouch are real leather.

rusky-3.jpg

rusky-4.jpg

The ammo is 1980's Fiochi brand, the Russian ammo does not have the abrupt crimp on top and has a sharp taper. Sorry I'd have to do some real digging to find my WW2 Russian ammo but outside of the taper it is very similiar with the bullet completely buried in the cartridge.

rusky-5.jpg

century has 32 acp cylinders for about $44

so should i get one with the idea of shooting 32 mag in it? or spend my money on another yugo?

Get both if you can afford it, if not spring for the Yugo. For paper punching you will probaby shoot better with 32 S&W or the S&W Long. Accuracy will be dismal at best, can't say though about the ACP cylinder.