Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Cz Wannabes

AzRednek

I accumulated these the past six or so months doing some good'ol fashion horse trading, selling and buying. Cost me a FNP-45, Beretta PX sub compact my soon to be X left behind, scoped Remington 7400 30/06 and a small amount of cash mostly for FFL fees.

CZ_zpsjqova3b9.jpg

These are all Turk manufactured CZ clones. Guess I'm showing my age preferring steel to plastic frames. All three are heavy but dead on accurate and reliable. I'd really like to have a real CZ but being the cheapskate I am don't think it will ever happen. Despite some of the bad press on Turk guns, no complaints from me. The only bad, the compact 9MM rear sight came loose on me twice. A couple drops of Lock-Tite fixed it.

The only hick-ups were due to my quickie assembled lead slug 9MM handloads. A few very mild 45ACP I loaded for my 1917 revolver a few years ago just didn't have enough oomph to drive the slide back far enough. Factory ammo, mostly cheapie S&B, Geco, Aguilia even the Eastern European steel case stuff all ran 100%. Felt recoil coupled with the heavy steel frames and slides is very comfortable.

The compact 9MM proved to be to heavy and uncomfortable to carry with an IWB holster. I'll likely put the compact 9MM on the trading block looking for another young guy on Backpage that wants to trade away Dad or Grandpa's Smith & Wesson revolver he inherited. The full sized 9 and 45 are both keepers.

• 4 months later...

I had a plastic framed Canick that was a real POS. The decocking mechanism had some machining debris stuck inside causing hang fires. Last time I shot it, just a click. I kept it pointed down range 30 or more seconds and mistakenly assumed it was a dud round. The moment I touched the slide, boom. I read similar complaints on the net. One comment from who claimed to be a gunsmith had the same problem. He claimed it was easily fixed by disassembling, clean debris and lightly oil parts. Myself and others asked how to tear it down but he refused to say claiming liability reasons.

The nightmare was dealing with CAI Century Arms warranty. CAI's warranty person was never available and the calls were never returned. The net distributor I bought it from gave me some backdoor phone numbers and I still got the run around. I was eventually given name and number of owner or manager. After I explained the run around going on two weeks. She denied it was theirs and the CAI stamping on the slide was fake. The distributor finally agreed to exchange it telling me they had numerous complaints about CAI. I had to eat the postage and FFL fees both ways. The replacement worked fine but I quickly traded it away for a S&W 357.

From what I've read on the net Canick redesigned the decocker and the reviews have been excellent.

PS I was mistaken on the full sized 9MM clone. It is Italian manufactured.

The poly framed stricker fired Canicks are a bargain. Comes with two mags and a holster. YouTube reviews have it as accurate and reliable as a Glock but considerably lower cost. Be advised, if you buy one from J&G. They are selling the earlier models with the problems and have removed the spare mag.