Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Welding And Bluing

724wd

so, level with me... when i get ready to weld up some trigger guard stuff, is it going to be really obvious? will the bluing not take to mig wire? with only a mig box, what are my options?

heath

Realistically, your best shot is to set up the trigger guard the way you want it welded, buy a package of nickle steel rods from Brownells, and take the thing to a good welder with a TIG unit to weld.

Clemson

Why nickle rod? Seems to me that wouldn't blue very well.

I'm pretty sure that if you MIG it with regular MIG wire, that should take the blue. I'd experiment on some scrap pieces and see if they could be blued, even with some cold blue products.

The nickel rod Clemson is talking about is only 3 to 5% nickel i have used 6011 and 7818 rods with good success but the problem lies in the amount or color of blueing it will take will it match the rest of the gun or part ? a matte finsh helps hide any slight color mismatches hope this helps

james

here's the scene. i am rebuilding the hinge on a small ring guard for my 24/47. the hinge was trashed: drilled offset, oversized, partially collapsed... i was planning on using some hardware store keystock and drill and shape it. with that, i was planning on welding it with my wire feed. currently it's running flux core, but adding a bottle is not a big deal. i have some lincoln brand wire from home depot. my proposed finish for this gun is matte black. i have the same finish on my 30/06, and it's pretty even. it's almost like a coating. Mel Doyle in St. Maries, ID did it.

i will look around for a tig man, seeing how this is pretty delicate welding. I'm good, but i'm good with pretty heavy stuff!

Oftentimes it helps to blend the weld zone with a OA torch.

Caustic bluing is much more tempramental than rust bluing when it comes to weld zones.