Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How To Open Up Feed Rails On 98 Mauser

The coyote

A previous thread covered the trials and tribulations involved in getting short, fat cases to feed in the M98.

My recollection is that the case is SO FAT (how fat is it?), it's so fat that the ejector needs modification or replacement (read that as needing to be extended); the cartidge case, once it gets under the rear bridge, is too large to turn for ejection.

With all of the headache involved, a 22/06 looks so nice...

Other cartridges to look at are 5.56x57 and 22-08.

All these will burn lots of very slow powder send a .22 caliber bullet down range at light speed!

If I may ask, why the 223 WSSM?

If you truely feel the need to proceed I'd suggest building it as a single shot. You will save tons of time, money, and agravation. Trying to get one of these to feed by feedrail work alone is an excercise in futility. While you can sometimes get by with a win mag using the original magazine, the WSM is so fat as to absolutely require a new magazine. Even then, the short cartridge presents challenges for even the most accomplished builders.

Opening the feedrails is a process hard to describe in words alone.

a guy could probably build a really trim, light weight rifle out of a mauser if one were so inclined to have a bolt action single shot.... it shouldn't be that much harder with practice to quick reload like a break action..... damn, another idea! URGH! the wife already hates my collection.... (although maybe she won't notice another addition.....)

Other cartridges to look at are 5.56x57 and 22-08.

All these will burn lots of very slow powder send a .22 caliber bullet down range at light speed!

If I may ask, why the 223 WSSM?

Because I don't like recoil because of injurys I've had. I'm trying to find something without a bunch of recoil and be a hell of a varment gun that will work in a mauser. Could you tell me more about the cartridges you mentioned? Or any other ideas you have? Thanks.

a guy could probably build a really trim, light weight rifle out of a mauser if one were so inclined to have a bolt action single shot.... it shouldn't be that much harder with practice to quick reload like a break action..... damn, another idea! URGH! the wife already hates my collection.... (although maybe she won't notice another addition.....)

Thank you I am looking for something short light and fast without much recoil that will work with my mauser. Thanks.

Its a good thought but I want to feed cartridges.

Need to feed cartridges.

Its a good thought but I want to feed cartridges.

Need to feed cartridges.

Then this cartridge ain't for you. The .22-250 or 22-08, or 22-06 or 5.56x57 would be better in this regard. And, they will all produce less recoil than the 223 WSM with better barrel life to boot. Heck don;t overlook the 6mm rem either. You can get bullets as lite as 55 grains.

Jason posted about a friend who successfully converted a Mauser to feed 325 WSM. The issues he faced may be the same as what you'll need to do. Here's a link.

It far exceeds my skills.

Then this cartridge ain't for you. The .22-250 or 22-08, or 22-06 or 5.56x57 would be better in this regard. And, they will all produce less recoil than the 223 WSM with better barrel life to boot. Heck don;t overlook the 6mm rem either. You can get bullets as lite as 55 grains.

I have 223 wsm willing to share with anybody willing to help me with a 22-08. Can you tell me where to get a reamer and headspace gauge like that? My reamer is pt&g solid pilot brand new. Any information on this cartridge would be helpful.

Talk to Dave Kiff of Pacific Tool and Gauge. If he doesn't have the reamer on hand, he can make it. Sell the 223 WSSM reamer on eBay and turn a profit on it!

Coyote,

Not to be a stick in the mud but Here's something to think about. The dies are normally $50 more. these are a bargain if you want to do a .22-308.

Odd ball catridges get expensive. Also, .22-250 ammo is very cheap and it is sometimes nice not to have to handload. Lastly, in all honesty, there ain't much that the .22-250 gives up to the .22-308.

Just things to consider. If the .22-308 floats your boat then have at it and post pics when you are done. Either way, these .473" casehead catridges will allow you to put five in the magazine instead of 2.

Good advice on selling the WSM reamer.