Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stuff

FC

I'm busy as heck in my new job. This place is a mess, and my head is swimming.

While I have a minute I want to ask you fellas to think about the future of this site that you pay for. You and I pay to have this site up, which is a nice place to chat, but comes at a cost. I imagine a lot of people come here for the massive library of gunsmithing information in our archives, but never join, and do not contribute financially.

The day of cheap military surplus firearms is past. Rifles now are superior to what was produced in the past. Sure, the actions would cost a lot to make these days, but accuracy is better than ever, and a lot of firearms have hit the market in the last ten years.

The question I ask about once a year is whether we have a reason to be. It is good to talk and share amongst the guys, but to you all, is the expense the dozen or so of you share to keep the site running worth it for people you never know that see it as a free gunsmithing library? Since we started there's a lot of social media, wikis, and blogs out there. How do they change the bulletin board game?

This is really your house, Tony. We are all guests. I'll continue to kick in a few bucks beer money and hang out. In other words, I say keep it up.

You can look at the search engine hits in the admin panel and see what is drawing people in. Yes, I would say the majority of it is for our gunsmithing library. I've used it myself too, searching for something on teh googles and having the answer be buried in a 3 year old post here. Are they freeloaders? Yeah, but we do the same elsewhere, and that's what makes teh intr4w3bz, y0, useful. I consider the board to be sort of a public service, like my recent 7MM Mauser thread. I put that up so that people will have a consolidated source of info on sporterizing Spanish Mausers and the 7x57.

I agree with Doc. I don't mind contributing financially to keep the site up and would be willing to pay more.

I say keep it up but, I really have no idea know what is involved in running this site.

I consider most of you regulars to be friends and would not like to lose daily contact with you. :(

It isn't hard keeping the site going. It coasts along. I'm just the custodian here.

I could require signing up. May get a bit more commitment when you have to sign up. Honestly, I haven't kept up with stats. I'm on my 4.5 hour drive home for the weekend, so bad time to look.

I think the way I found this site was looking for info on rebarreling my shot out Turk, now my 35 Whelen. I found what I liked and now check the site daily now. Many guys on here are helpful. They have given me answers and confidence to learning the this hobby. I have contributed when the need was there. You can count on me for future donations to keep the site up. Ralph

Your house, your call, Oh flatulant fowl.

I pop in on a lot of sites and look around. Others do same here. If someone wants to look over our shoulders, and it helps the shooting sports in any way, that is IMO a good thing.

If funds are needed just say the word, you got it Dude. I don't post as much as previous times, but still pop in at least every couple of days to see what the rest of the rapscallions and curmudgeons are up to.

JM2c

I can't get viewing stats to post for some reason. 80% of posts, I'm estimating, are under general, with Cud being number 1. Sporterizing is about number 7. I don't see anything listed for views under the archives.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have not been around much. Work to hard I guest. Which is great, but when I do have time, I stop by and see what's going on. Have not done much but work on the Garands that I have.

FC, per your statement, rifles today are better, yes, but do you take pride to say "I built this rifle (s)". I do. And the people here are great. Never have I got into it with another member here. I need to check up on Az redneck too. Been way to busy. We are now getting back on our feet after working for a company that hold back miles, so I be able to pitch in a few bucks.

I'll keep it.

Rob

Thanks Az. It took us almost 18 months to come back and a lot of hard work. Now we can take it a little easier. But doctor want me to get the lap and done next spring. She said it not a "cure" but it will will help on my weight lose and other problems like my type II diabetes. Once again we are looking at 18 more months on the road. Then off.

Got my 243 barrel back right before I left so I need to install it and chamber it and get that reamer back in the Coop. Rod been great about this. So I will send it back Sat or Monday around 16th. Been working on the 243 for three years now. Almost done. Will have to get it refinish and I will be setting up for parkerizing in the spring. Will have almost 10 rifle to do, once I get all the rifle put together.I got two Garands, 260 Rem., 7-08mm, 30-06, 243Win, and more like a few from friends and family. Going to build 35 Whelen later on a 98/22 Czech receiver.

Hey I message you and got nothing then again I am on my cell phone while on the site.

Rob