Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Which Would You Choose

cameleon

I just picked up my first Mauser. A sporter which I thought was an FN but it's Spanish. I have a post on it. I never see these Mausers around here at all now they're popping up all over. I now have a chance at a used Mitchel Mauser k98 or a Yugo 24/47(not a Mitchel). Both at 250. Both in good shape. Bores clean, sharp etc. All things being equal which one is preferred? I know get both but can't swing that. To throw a curve into this there is also a sporter Swiss k-11 in the orig 7.5x55 caliber for 200. Decisions,decisions. The 24/47 has matching numbers.

5016183_03_yugo_24_47_8mm_mauser__640.jp

I dunno. I think I would go with the matching numbers 24/47 if the bore was good it it otherwise was in good shape. 250 is a decent price these days. I kinda like original, and from what I understand, the Mitchels are a refurb, mostly from stuff the Russians captured. I could be wrong on that, and their ads in the magazines make them sound like the best Mauser ever.

I don't need another caliber, especially something relatively oddball like the 7.5 Swiss. 7 and 8 MM x 57 is as oddball as I want to go. OK, and 50AE.

I think your right about the Mitchel's from what I've read. Not a real collectors item but ok as shooters if in good condition. But many feel too expensive for just a shooter. I think many of the real collectors feel that they're advertising was borderline deceptive. I'm leaning toward the Yugo also. Your advice is appreciated.

You might want to take a close look at the Mitchell Mauser. If it is genuine WW 2 German K98 (not Yugo K98) , all matching with the Nazi stampings intact. In my opinion would be the best dollar investment. Do a net search to determine and understand the markings and codes. If the Mitchell is not perfectly original and all matching I'd go for the Yugo. My guess, if the Mitchell is only 250 not likely a perfect WW2 K98.

EDIT: I was told by a hard core Mauser guy in my gun club. Some of the Mitchell Mausers were force matched. He had an example of a K98 with matching numbers but claimed he could tell it was force matched by the combination of early milled and later war stamped parts. See it often with Lugars.

I would vote for the Mitchell. it will likely be in better shape but in this case, you aren't paying the premium for the Mitchell name.

Those K31's are a sweet rifle that should be part of everyone's collection. I got a couple when they were $89. Slick action, pristine bores, straight pull action is a conversation starter, good ballistics.

The lowest priced Mitchell Mauser K98k goes for $400 on their website, so @ $250, it should be a good buy. As mentioned, the K98k is a standard length action and the 24/47 is an intermediate length action, and both should be good shooters, if that's what you want. I have heard that Mitchell Mausers may not have all authentic nazi markings, but I don't know that for a fact. Choose what ever feels good in your hands.

Spiris