Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Steady Rest Rollers

ken98k

Polinidad asked about the steady rest rollers I mentioned in another post, so here's how I made them.

The original pads were pressed into the rest fingers so I made new extended ones from brass stock.

then I made a jig to hold them while machining.

steadyrest005.jpg

steadyrest001.jpg

I made them tapered but later removed the tapered ends because they didn't have enough meat for the 1/4" axel screws.

steadyrest002.jpg

Finished product

steadyrest003.jpg

steadyrest004.jpg

I tried them out for the first time yesterday and they still scratched the barrel I was working on slightly.

I'm going to make a set of brass rollers just for barrel work. it only takes a few seconds to swap out the bearing

These are the bearings I used.

steadyrest.jpg

good work. we used to take a piece of stiff cardboard about 12x12 & cut a small hole in the middle the same size as what we were turning then slide it & tape it to the steady rest. that way any chips would hit the cardboard & be deflected back towards the toolpost instead of going into the rollers

good work. we used to take a piece of stiff cardboard about 12x12 & cut a small hole in the middle the same size as what we were turning then slide it & tape it to the steady rest. that way any chips would hit the cardboard & be deflected back towards the toolpost instead of going into the rollers

I think the main problem with these rollers is the hardness of the bearings against the softer barrel metal.

The softer brass rollers will eliminate that problem.

The bearing will work great for a project I've got in mind.

I think the main problem with these rollers is the hardness of the bearings against the softer barrel metal.

The softer brass rollers will eliminate that problem.

The bearing will work great for a project I've got in mind.

Ken98K, have you tried the oil less lubricant impregnated bronze bushings?. Have a couple small ones around here some where and wondered if they would work?. Frank

Ken98K, have you tried the oil less lubricant impregnated bronze bushings?. Have a couple small ones around here some where and wondered if they would work?. Frank

I have not tried them, but I don't see why they wouldn't work

I have not tried them, but I don't see why they wouldn't work

Ken98K, thanks, think they are referred to as oil less bushings. Some of the ones are made by Boston Gear. Now if I could only just remember where I put them. CRS don't you know. Thanks again,Frank