Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Santa Barbara Mauser Hinged Trigger Guard Review

Sailormilan2

I promised a review of the hinged Santa Barbara made trigger guards that Numrich has. So, here it is. These are the typical SB/MK X style, with the latch in the bow. The latch is nicely fitted. They are castings, and the mold line can be seen inside, where it doesn't matter. But it is there. The hinge pin/floor plate fit is good, with no wobble. They are made for a 98 style stock, with extra metal in front of the front screw. Which is no big deal.

Unfortunately, the pics did not turn out as well as I wanted. But, there is a dot inside each of the diamond shapes on the floor plate, trigger bow, and the front tang. You can see some of them in one of the pics.

One of the floor plates has an issue, and won't close. I think the floor plate tang/hinge point is a shade too long and contacting the hinge cutout. I will work on that tomorrow.

Now, comparing these to the commercially made trigger guards that are out there now for about $100. Those are easy to spot as they have a hump at the rear of the mag box. The two I got have a very loose hinge pin/floor plate, so the floor plate wobbles when open. The bow/latch is not shaped well, as they appear to have just been put together with no thought of blending together. The color is a very matt black finish. Much duller than these.

While I don't really care for the so called engraving, but at $60 each I can live with it. In my opinion they are made much better than the the new commercially made ones that are out there that cost more money.

I did get one of the finished floor plates, just to see what they are like. It will need some work. It's kind of lumpy. Meaning some draw filing, or sanding may be in order. However, it may be just right for anyone who needs a floor plate to finish a trigger guard.

[/url]">http://TriggerGuard3_zpsgy7mozoe.jpg

[/url]">http://TriggerGuard1_zpsdrbzkd8f.jpg

For 60 bucks you practically stole it!! Showing my age again. Back in the 70's new or used hinged Mauser trigger guard were asking 35-50 bucks at gun shows.

Several years ago I bought one of Midway's Mauser trigger guards. I believe it was around 100 and change maybe 150 just can't recall for sure. For the price I was expecting quality I could equate with a 1950's hand fit rifle. I was very disappointed and sent it back using Midway's satisfaction guarantee for a plastic credit. It wasn't any better than Santa Barbra and had a pot metal feeling. The high polish bluing on the smooth floor plate was its best feature. I wound up going with the stock military trigger guard that practically fell into my wood stock. The Midway guard would have taken some work to get it to fit the stock cut for an OEM trigger guard.

I think it looks nice, and given today's prices, reasonable. I was at the pawn shop a couple days ago. $250 for a Turk without a single matching number. $200 for a sporterized Mosin.

Pawn shop prices in my opinion are not a good way to gauge current prices. They usually have built in room for negotiations and salesman's commission. They also have to deal with trade-ins and lay-aways that upset their cash flow. Some mom n pop gun stores can be just as bad. A few months ago I saw what the tag said "Beretta Carbine". Two hundred and something for a sported Carcano. I didn't handle the Carcano but the metal from across the counter looked spray painted gloss black.

Turk rifles with matching numbers are not an easy find. Many Turk Mausers were built and rebuilt with new and used receivers and parts. Some Turks were made with WW1 GEW 98 actions. Plenty of Turk Mausers were originally chambered in 7.65 Belgium, re-barreled to 8MM and headspaced with a bolt from the top of the parts pile. Its on the internet so it has to be true!! Most of whats said on the net about Turk Mausers is speculation. I've read in numerous places Turkey's govt will not speak or give any details. Possibly believing they are sharing classified information.

When I started tinkering with Mausers way back when, in the 70s, I got two in the white Mauser hinged TGs(probably SB made) from what was then called Sherwoods in Northridge(now called Northridge International) for $10 ea. I wish I had bought a dozen of them.

But, seriously, these are a much better deal than the new commercially made ones that are floating around and going for #100 ea. Even if they do require some minor fiddling. I think I may have to get one more.

When I started tinkering with Mausers way back when, in the 70s, I got two in the white Mauser hinged TGs(probably SB made) from what was then called Sherwoods in Northridge(now called Northridge International) for $10 ea. I wish I had bought a dozen of them.

But, seriously, these are a much better deal than the new commercially made ones that are floating around and going for #100 ea. Even if they do require some minor fiddling. I think I may have to get one more.

I dropped plenty of bucks at Sherwood in the 70's. I made a killing back then buying a cases of 1 qt US GI gun solvent and re-selling it. They were ridiculously slow shipping but the prices were the best in Shotgun News. I was really disappointed around 2001 to find they closed their store front operation. Northridge makes regular appearances at Phoenix gun shows. Prices no where near as good as 70's Sherwood but he has nearly every part for US military guns except receivers. I've tried twice to engage him in conversation but he just doesn't want to talk. All I got was a negative headshake and turning his back to me when I asked if he still sold military guns. Rumor mill says the death of the scrounger founder and the divorce of his son caused the down sizing and name change.