Military Firearm Restoration Corner

To Build Or Buy?

rdm1962

I have a chance to buy a really nice Ruger 77 in 243 for $525. I've had a Yugo action, a bolt with a sporter handle welded on and Richards laminated stock set aside for a 243 build for a few years now. I have 2 other project that still need to be finished. So what do you guys think Buy or Build?

I certainly agree with Dr. Hess, the projects can sometimes overwhelm and you find it tough to find time. I've built several rifles and they all shoot well and they look good too, but it's been a while since I have fired any of them. Been shooting my pistols.

You can probably sell your action and stock parts, and cover much of the cost of the Ruger, or not. Then all you need to do is work up loads for the 243.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Spiris

I have a chance to buy a really nice Ruger 77 in 243 for $525. I've had a Yugo action, a bolt with a sporter handle welded on and Richards laminated stock set aside for a 243 build for a few years now. I have 2 other project that still need to be finished. So what do you guys think Buy or Build?

$525.00 to much for a Ruger 77. If Backpage is popular in your area you'll see bolt actions selling in the 3-400 range. There are plenty with higher prices but they just don't sell. I might go over 500 for a Reminton BDL or pre-64 Winchester. The best bet to get an idea of the average selling price. Check Gunbroker's Completed auctions. Ignore the numerous listings that did not sell. Look for the ones that actually sold as I could be wrong. 243's like most over-bore are hard on barrels. If you don't know the seller it could possibly have an eroded throat and poor accuracy.

Thanks for the info guys. AZ I looked at Backpage. Not much there and mostly overpriced. On gun broker there were lots of rifles with composite stocks, not really my thing. The nice sold ones are running around $500 +.

I don't know if I really need (like that matters) a 243. My daughter has a 243 and I reload for it. So why not. I have a 223, 25-06, 280 rem, 30-30, 30 carbine, 308, 5 @ 30-06, 32 Win special, 6 @ 8x57, 303 Brit, 35 Whelen and a 44 mag. I don't have a shortage of rifles to play with but the offer seamed good. I'll have to do some more thinking on the subject.

I have to eat my words. I'm surprised to see the Ruger 77's in wood stocks holding their price. Doesn't seem to be many out there in wood stocks. I found one here in Phx on Backpage but the seller does not show a price which in my mind means he wants way to much for it. I know the feeling well of not needing another but go for it anyway. Recently if I had been a bit quicker I missed out on a Sako 06 asking for only $325.00. I have several rifles I do not need but simply couldn't walk away from a low-ball price. I've turned a few for profit or upgrading but bolt actions are slow movers. Gun show buyers, especially first time buyers. Want the hottest super-dooper, nuke fueled magnum. I see a handful of younger guys walking around every gunshow with 300/338 Mags for sale or trade.

243 is a good choice for smaller statured shooters. A 100 lb shooter will feel the recoil but will not get the punishing pain of a larger bore. Flat shooting and good for deer on down game.

EDIT: Just found this. only $1100 in 250 Savage. my guess is his selling price is in the mid 9's.

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/1100-ruger-77-250-sav/34289574

here's more

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/600-ruger-m77-mkii-6mm-remington/34289084

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/ruger-m77/33938421