Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sshd Speed Up The Computer

karlunity

I downloaded windows ..not something I would advise ..unless you have a touch screen and it put something in my HD I think as the box slowed way down. I fdisked and reinstalled but no joy..

So I tried a SSHD..Downside is that they are small in capacity for the money.But I never filled the 2 t drive any way and the SSD gentlemen, are FAST

karl

SSDs are very fast... Nothing says you can't throw that extra 2TB drive into the desktop case and use it for storage/backups. Or you can always find a member on here that can use the 2 TB drive :)

You shouldn't (and probably can't under newer versions of Windows) defragment SSDs. The older platter-style HDs certainly can benefit from an occasional defrag though.

Nothing speeds-up a machine like adding memory (and it's relatively cheap). If your system supports 4 or 8 GB of RAM, MAX it out. If your system supports over 8 GB of RAM, I'd have at least 8 in it.

It is already gone under the drill press...In the end the The MBR was gone and none of my tricks could restore it but i make a practice of NEVER tossing HDs till I drill holes in them...I read too many horror stories.
It was working well, then i downloaded legally...Windows 10 and found it full of what appeared to be spyware/malware but when I tried to restore 7, things were just never the same very very slow...Fedora found partitions in the HD that I could not account for. So I had to deep six it.

karl

http://daniemon.com/blog/how-to-wipe-a-hard-drive-with-linux/

sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdx

(where "sdx" is the HD identifier) works very well under linux. It will return the drive to a raw, unformated state with every sector on the HD completely written over with random data. It would be impossible to recover any data with a full wipe.

You can then use Linux to setup a new partition on the device with fdisk, set it to NTFS with fdisk, install it on a Windows machine, and format there.

There are a number of reasons for extra partitions:

1. The vendor might have a hidden partition for recovery files. Most folks have this on their systems and don't realize it. It's accessed either through the BIOS or a special recovery CD. I was going to cobble a custom version of Windows 7 together for a friend (his son loaded the HD with viruses, and over 1000 removed infected items later, the system didn't work well). I went through Linux and found the extra partition. The beauty of this is that when run, it will return the system to an absolute orginal factory state. Saved me much work and headache. I had to do some internet snooping to figure how to access it.

2. When Windows formats drives under NTFS, it appears that NTFS only can use certain sizes of partitions, it it can't use the whole drive, it "rounds-down" and sets the remainder as an unformatted area that can look like a partition. It's usually very small, but still odd-looking if you don't expect it.

3. Newer versions of Windows (I know version 8.1), expressly warns that it will create a small parition for system data. I never bothered to look and see what it actually did, but the warning was evident. Perhaps Windows 7 did this too. Dunno.

Fedora is awesome. I'm running 21/22 on a number of systems. My 75 year-old mother has had zero problems with it under Gnome 3 (the same system running WinXP had me making many repair visits). My teenage daughter is doing well on her system too. Both are set with Chrome (I prefer Firefox for ethical reasons, but FF's lack of modern Flash support under Linux has forced me to compromise).

I use Chrome on Fedora 22 as well, even through, it takes an extra step to get it to install. The Firefox it comes with is very slow. Dont know why.

Fedora 22 is what I have on the Hippy's computer as well. : )