Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scattered Shots

rustvyper

I have a mosin nagant that I sporterized out of a 19/30 action. I cut down the barrel & recrowned to 22". The shots hold together real well for the first couple then they start scattering real bad. Any idea what the issue may be? Perhaps the crown needs to be redone? Thanks!

so as it heats up it starts to loose the group? i'd look at the bedding first. when the barrel gets hot, the stock might be putting pressure on the barrel.

Could be a shot out barrel. Over the years I've had numerous Spanish rifles with bad bores. With a cold oiled barrel I'd get two sometimes three shots where I was aiming. Let the barrel cool and try a couple more, if it improves it is likely as the previous posters mentioned, bedding or an ill fit stock. The metal heats up, expands, creates pressure between the wood and metal. If the shot string improves after cooling look at the stock. If it doesn't improve, try running an oiled patch down the bore. If the oiled patch fixes it for a couple of shots, chances are good the barrel's throat is excessively worn.

I have a Voere Mauser in 308 Norma. Even with a free floated barrel. It heats up and the shot string moves indicating to me the barrel warps from heat. I can heat it up with several shots and shoot a decent group, it just clusters high right from where it was sighted in cold. Not a problem for me to use the rifle hunting as the barrel is cold and usually doesn't move until the third or fourth shot.