Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ivan The Strong [arm]

Racepres

I got it figured out... the Yugo's put the safety breach cutout wherever they felt like cause "Ivan the Strong", could just keep twisting till it lined up!!! I swear some Yugo's must have "gain twist" cause of this guy!! And of course the very tightest one I have had the pleasure of fooling w/, is the one I really wanna save the barrel!!! I'll get 'er...

Just "Blowin' off".... MV

lettin' the Kroil work for awhile whilst I cool off...... Next week maybe!

I got it figured out... the Yugo's put the safety breach cutout wherever they felt like cause "Ivan the Strong", could just keep twisting till it lined up!!! I swear some Yugo's must have "gain twist" cause of this guy!! And of course the very tightest one I have had the pleasure of fooling w/, is the one I really wanna save the barrel!!! I'll get 'er...

Just "Blowin' off".... MV

lettin' the Kroil work for awhile whilst I cool off...... Next week maybe!

You pretty much got it figured out. I've been amazed whenI pulled the barrels off and the reinstalled them. Where I normally call it quits with torque still leaves mor ethan an 1/8 turn to align the cutout. Sheesh!

It seems like I read a thread on another forum where a guy dismounted several Yugo barrels and measured where the threads started in relation to where the extractor cut was. He noticed they were all nearly identical. He also inspected the receiver threads and noticed the initial thread started in about the same spot on the receiver rings. He postulated that perhaps the Yugos used an indexed threading technique. That way you could mass produce the recievers and chambered barrels with a generous crush tolerance and then just crank them together till they fit. They could have even used powered machines to provide additional force. This could account for the wide variation in tightness experienced. Also, it would make sense because if you had to hand fit and mill every barrel, production runs would take too long.

This is what I had to do to three of the Yugo that I have, glue the barrel in the barrel blocks, then I put the action wrench on, then an cheater bar, when the wife was pulling down, I smack it with an 10 lbs slaghammer. After that, the action just spin off the barrel. :lol:

Rob

This is what I had to do to three of the Yugo that I have, glue the barrel in the barrel blocks, then I put the action wrench on, then an cheater bar, when the wife was pulling down, I smack it with an 10 lbs slaghammer. After that, the action just spin off the barrel. :lol:

Rob

You got you a good wife... Mine comes to the bottom of the steps to "check what all the grunting is about" then wanders upstairs... laughing hysterically!!!! MV

It seems like I read a thread on another forum where a guy dismounted several Yugo barrels and measured where the threads started in relation to where the extractor cut was. He noticed they were all nearly identical. He also inspected the receiver threads and noticed the initial thread started in about the same spot on the receiver rings. He postulated that perhaps the Yugos used an indexed threading technique. That way you could mass produce the recievers and chambered barrels with a generous crush tolerance and then just crank them together till they fit. They could have even used powered machines to provide additional force. This could account for the wide variation in tightness experienced. Also, it would make sense because if you had to hand fit and mill every barrel, production runs would take too long.

Bob, that sounds plausible. It would make sense from a production standpoint. On a non safety breeched model the barrel is cinched up, then the sight indexing holes drilled, then the sights added. It would, as you say, slow down the process to have to install barrel, mark for extractor slot, unscrew barrel, cut slot, reinstall.

I've not tried to screw in one yugo barrel onto another receiver but still this theory has merit.