Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anyone tried wax to prevent rust?

Living in an area that has a degree of salt air has proven to be a challange for keeping rust from starting on my rifles, especially under the wood line. I have always kept them well oiled and I find that still, if I am not careful and frequently pulling them apart, rust will form. I am considering trying to go to waxing the barrels and action with a high quality automotive type wax as a vapor barrier as opposed to oil. Mainly I am thinking of the ones that don't get used much. Are there any of you that use this method and if so how has it worked out. There must be some out there that have the same issues to deal with. Any thoughts folks? swamp_thing

Swamp,

I used Johnson's Paste Wax to coat the metal while bedding two rifles recently and I was kinda wondering the same thing as you. It would appear that this stuff dries to a reasonably durable finish if you leave it alone for a few days. I say this because the guy who I hired for parkerizing said he had to use a heat gun to melt it all off. I tried to remove it myself, but found I couldn't dissolve it with mineral spirits without an overnight soak.

As such, I would think that after the firearm's finish had soaked up all the oil it was going to, a coating of paste wax could go on and then I guess the metal would be impervious to the elements. I have read comments other places mentioning that so-and-so has had good results using Johnson's to keep the rain off - even in Alaska - and I plan to try it myself.

For $4.95 a can, its hard to beat Johnson's Paste Wax. Apparently, the stuff is good for everything!

Jason

I wondered about the johnson's paste wax but did not know if moisture would turn it white. Seems that I had remembered this happening a long time ago with it on another use. I was sure that would not happen with the car waxes and thus my question. It just seems to me that unlike oil, it would not run off or displace allowing moisture or air to the metal. I am ready to try it myself as I have reached a point of not knowing what else to do. Might even try the Johnson's wax. swamp_thing.

Mix turpentine 50/50 with spar varnish. This approximates the hard oils supplied with all those lovely cased british rifles.

Have you tried RIG? My local dealer swears by it for rust prevention. I use it on all my rifles 'cause I usually wind up hunting in snow or rain. So far, so good. Coat the metal well under the wood line and put 'er back together. I do check it right after each season though.

Guest Unregistered Guest

For testing ideas like this, I have always recommended re-bar. Take a piece and grind a fresh spot, and wax it to see how it behaves in your particular set of circumstances.

I find that Johnsons' Paste Wax will do what you want (in all of my personal uses so far). Johnsons' Floor Wax is the wax which will turn white and powdery. The big feature with the wax is that there will be no oil to wood contact, which in turn means less chance of dry rot.

If you have ever torn down a Swede 96 for the first time since it was built, you found that the rifle is/was completely filled with something similar to Rig. It is almost like Cosmo, but it is light yellow, and semi solid. I'm thinking beeswax, vaseline, and maybe spirits. The thing is, it doesn't seem to run when the rifle heats up.