Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt Stop Identification And Thread Size Question

thequietman

I have a question for the Mauser experts here. Something similar was covered in a different thread some time ago, but I don't this there was ever a definitive answer.

To start at the beginning. I recently picked up a Swedish 96 Mauser barreled action that included a bolt stop but not bolt stop screw. The serial numbers matched on all of the parts that have serial numbers, so I figured it was mostly an original gun that someone else sporterized in the past (the receiver was already drilled and tapped for scope bases).

I ordered a few missing parts, such as magazine follower, trigger guard screws and bolt stop/ejector screw. When I tried putting ejector screw into the bolt stop/ejector block, it screwed in almost all the way, but it stopped about a millimeter short of all the way. A more detailed examination with more attention paid to the bolt stop block itself made me realize that the bolt stop is not original to the rifle. Instead of the Swedish crown mark, it has a totally different distinct mark that I do not recognize and can't find any references to.

I tried to figure out the thread sizes for the screw and the block and so far all I can say is that screw appears to be 8-32 but the block will not accept 8-32 tap, however 6-32 tap goes in with no effort. Checking the dimensions in the machinery handbook, it almost looks like the thread is 7-32, which is of course a non-standard size.

Anyway, my questions are these:

1. What is the thread size on the bolt stop and screw?

2. Are they the same for all Mausers, or is each Mauser model different?

3. Can someone help me identify which Mauser this bolt stop came from?

Thanks

post-7944-0-84506300-1491098550_thumb.jpg

I have one like it...But, Mine was from an earlier small ring..no threads, it used a pin..

as Dr. says some turks ['03's I think] had something like that.

Mike, Z1r knows the thread size...5mm I sort of Recall

Thanks Don...Of course ... one more time, my Memory fails me!!!

Argy it is....

I think I will adapt my 89/91 to a Spanish sporter I have...I really like the shape personally!!!

I really like the shape too. It seems like it would be much easier on the fingers than the usual Mauser shape with tiny ridges on top. But worst case, I can pick up standard Swedish piece from Sarco.

I tried 4mmx.7 screw and that didn't work.

Don, how can I find your friend on eBay to get the screw that fits?

I really like the shape too. It seems like it would be much easier on the fingers than the usual Mauser shape with tiny ridges on top. But worst case, I can pick up standard Swedish piece from

I tried 4mmx.7 screw and that didn't work.

Don, how can I find your friend on eBay to get the screw that fits?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201858818303

That bolt stop appears to be from a 1909 Argentine. But, I believe that the 1909 Peruvian(Identical to the 1903 Turk), and the Turks use the same style..

Thread size should be 4mm-.75, at least, that is what I have used before. However, there was a possibility that they are 4mm-.7.

There was a discussion about here here sometime back, with some insisting they are SAE(English) threads and some saying they are metric.

http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=1655http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=1655

Thread size should be 4mm-.75, at least, that is what I have used before. However, there was a possibility that they are 4mm-.7.

There was a discussion about here here sometime back, with some insisting they are SAE(English) threads and some saying they are metric.

That thread is definitely not 4mmx.7. I tried that one and it doesn't even come close.

Thanks for the thread link. I saw this one earlier. Very informative, but I don't think the consensus was ever reached.